Plush's "Fed"

Woebot

i first heard about this in the pages of uncut magazine. that same issue with the postcard feature (ie the only one ive picked up in the last couple years, lest anyone be scrutinising me for dad-rock tendencies, lol! i am a hipster, honest guv!) it comes across as an art-rock take on 70s US AM-rock, a kind of radicalised version of chicago/al stewart/tom rush/seventies bob dylan. amongst the producers on it number steve albini and jim o'rourke.

the legend goes that the record label (i think domino?) pulled the plug on the lp because the production costs were spiralling out of control. plush ended up footing the bill himself (in the region of six figures apparently, gasps) one the one hand kind of admirable (the pursuit of art) on the other giving the proceedings the aura of a vanity project. bizarrely the only way of getting this nowadays is by importing it oneself from japan. all of which above lends it the aura of a cult object.

the idea of a radical mor is, ive always found, quite seductive. its the self-conciously grown-up cousin of pop-entryism. its a less of a trojan horse than a kit-built bmw replica incorrectly parked in the management's demarcated bay. unlike pop-entryism (which is cool too isnt it? its a bit of fun. richard x, yeah he's cool- not that i see him as anything but a rockist.....), it's relationship with the mainstream is softer, but by the same token it's less likely to receive fantastic remuneration. off the top of my head other examples are scott walker's 3 and 4, tom jobim's "matita pere", van dyke park's "discover america', arto lindsay's "prize", richard and linda thompson's "shoot out the lights". the brazilian connection is an important one, because there softly-spoken ballads by the likes of edu lobo and caetano veloso aren't seen as being unradical just because the content isnt grating. actually this is why nick cave (who's been wanting to make a good radical MOR record since he nearly achieved it with "from her to eternity") goes on about brazilian music and the "suadade" (inkorrekt spelling probably).

also spending ridiculous amounts of money on production (roping in veteran r'n'b producer tom tom wotsit), and long periods of time "getting it right" must be lauded in the push-button climate of electronica. nowadays you get people putting out an lp every week. thats what the planet mu bloke the gasman boasts of being able to do. i've always admired anton webern and edgar varese for their absolutely miniscule musical output. take your time and get it right innit.

the problem with "fed" is that its a huge pile of steaming horseshit. the songs are unbelievably feeble, and the guy has the worst, meanest, thinnest most-out-of-tune voice you've ever heard. i actually had to switch it off as i found the experience of hearing him mangle and not-quite-reach notes with his mewl was so fucking painful.

Rachel Verinder

An expensive mistake then if you bought it rather than downloaded it (£21.99 at Rough Trade last time I looked). I quite like it and wrote some stuff about it on Koons, but can't say I dig it out and play it on a weekly basis. It's a bit like that solitary copy of Essra Mohawk's Primordial Lovers on Rhino Handmade in the racks at HMV (also £21.99) which seems to scream out "Buy me!" every time I pass it, but I'm not yet convinced and the reviews I've seen of it on the net do not suggest a record worthy of kissing spines with Judee Sill or Laura Nyro.

Raw Patrick

I really like Fed.

Ironically however, Underfed, a Cd of demos for Fed (released on a Drag City offshoot) is better than the finished article.

Last edited:

Woebot

Rachel Verinder said:
An expensive mistake then if you bought it rather than downloaded it (£21.99 at Rough Trade last time I looked).

Aaah! Too smart of you Marcello. I think the expense of forking out for it must have forced me to come down on one side of the fence or the other. Though you'd assume I'd want to celebrate it a bit having shelled out so much...

Rachel Verinder said:
I quite like it and wrote some stuff about it on Koons, but can't say I dig it out and play it on a weekly basis. It's a bit like that solitary copy of Essra Mohawk's Primordial Lovers on Rhino Handmade in the racks at HMV (also £21.99) which seems to scream out "Buy me!" every time I pass it, but I'm not yet convinced and the reviews I've seen of it on the net do not suggest a record worthy of kissing spines with Judee Sill or Laura Nyro.

Sounds like a very similar kind of deal. Actually more than anything I thought this was a record that tried to be like this one:

noother.jpg

Which I've always thought was really over-rated as well. Baroque production, bad tunes, thin voice. Thumbs down.

jwd

Hah Matt well I am a BIG fan of both "Fed" and "No Other" but am happy to acknowledge that both artists are at their best when not so 'baroque' - cf. Plush's "More You Becomes You" and Gene Clark's "White Light", both of which are stronger than their more florid companions. Though if you have trouble with Liam Hayes' voice then I really think there's no way you could enjoy one second of Plush (he does tend to *scrawl* his voice over everything.) It is an acquired taste, I suppose.

Randy Watson

*wipes a tear from eye* How could you say such a thing about "No Other"?

I found White Light to be a bit of a disappointment. A few highlights but not enough divergence in tone. Still, I like the Roadmaster album best so what do I know?

Rachel Verinder

Sorry, Matty lad, I can't agree with you about No Other - one of my favourite records from 1974 (I was going to write about it in Koons when I got to Elvis; I could have put it under the entry on Charlie Rich but I used that to talk about Watergate), esp. "Strength Of Strings" and "Some Misunderstanding" where I think the "weak" voice works in the songs' favour ("Isn't? It? So? Good? To? Stay? Alive [over six heartrending descending notes, that "Alive"). David Bennun wrote a splendid piece about it in that Melody Maker Unknown Pleasures book from '94 (REPRINT NOW! Taylor Parkes on Abba's The Visitors! Pricey on More Specials!! Blissblogger on Tusk!!!).

Randy Watson

Rachel Verinder said:
(REPRINT NOW! Taylor Parkes on Abba's The Visitors! Pricey on More Specials!! Blissblogger on Tusk!!!).

Yeah, the visionaries at IPC are bound to go for that. TP's peice on The Visitors was the best thing he ever did IMHO. I was still quite young then but it seems with hindsight that a lot of revisionism started with that book.

Stubbs on Clear Spot too.

jwd

Marcello, am intrigued to know what you made of the other Plush records, "More You Becomes You" and "Found A Little Baby/Three-Quarters Blind Eyes". Someone once described "More You..." to me as 'a whole album's worth of Paul McCartney's "Waterfalls"', which works for me (I am the kind of sap that loves that song.)