Who Is Mike Jones?

stelfox

Beast of Burden
anyone else loving this album as much as me?
the regular first disc is pretty great - especially still tippin' (ok it's obvious, but i'm not tired of it yet), flossin' feat. big moe and got it sewed up (remix).
still, for my money, grandma has to be one of the best and most touching moments in hip hop since all that i got is you on ghostface killah's iron man album (another ridiculously underrated record).
it's all the things i like about texan rap right now - really down-home, honest - but endearingly humble, too, being all about how he'd never have never have become a player without following his gran's advice: using his real name and being proud of it, dishing his phone number out (it's all over the record), keeping the faith etc.
the screwed and chopped bonus disc is just stunning, too. mike watts totally shreds the original mixes and and makes them into something else entirely...

Last edited:

martyturenne

whoismikejones?
loving this one. funny how jones is less a rapper than slim thug but his album's way way better. benefits by staying so thoroughly true to houston -- no outside producers (e.g. neptunes), no big name east coast guests, etc.

it's nice to have both discs, too. the songs i don't like in regular speed invariably sound good on the s&c version. reminds me of lil flip's "sunshine" rap & bullshit song from last year: at normal speed it was terrible but the s&c version was wild, sounding like two lumbering dudes in a medicated tiff.

gotta say, though, dave, that grandma's a bit of a kanye rip-off isn't it? ending your album with a longwinded monologue about how you came up in the game? no?

stelfox

Beast of Burden
martyturenne said:
gotta say, though, dave, that grandma's a bit of a kanye rip-off isn't it? ending your album with a longwinded monologue about how you came up in the game? no?

yeah, totally, but it still works. as i said it reminds me more of ghostfaces all that i got is you than anything else coz there's loads of love in it and - and, i repeat, coz it's about his gran! ;)