The New Rhythm

sadmanbarty

4 Beats Per Bar

Music is divided into beats (it's the pulse you tap your foot or nod your head to).

It is also divided into 'bars'. Bars are regular collections of beats in which musical ideas happen. Think of them as rhythmic sentences that are all the same length.

Most music we hear has four beats in every bar.

The rewinding/scraping sound effect in this comes at the beginning of every bar, every 4 beats:

sadmanbarty

3 beats per bar

Some music has 3 beats in a bar, instead of the usual 4.

Count the hi hats in these. 1-2-3 1-2-3 1-2-3 and so on:

sadmanbarty

Straight Time

Each beat can itself be divided.

Usually that's in to two (listen to the hi hat):

or into four (hi hats again):

This is called straight time.

sadmanbarty

Triplets

But sometimes each beat is divided into 3. These are called triplets.

Slow this video down to 0.5 on youtube's settings. In the intro the ride cymbal is on each beat and the snare puts two notes in the middle. 1-2-3 1-2-3 1-2-3.

The opening fill in this. 1-2-3 1-2-3 1-2-3 1-2-3:

sadmanbarty

Migos flow

Triplets have been popular for much if this decade in rap, following versace:

ver-sa-ci ver-sa-ci ver-sa-ci
1- 2- 3 1- 2 3 1- 2- 3

sadmanbarty

3/4 Ambiguity

In reconciling the trend of 3's with everyone's conditioning to create music that's 4 centric, there will be a lot of music that emerges that is to varying degrees ambiguous or undecided.

sadmanbarty

4's Pretending To Be 3's

These songs are actually have 4 beats per bar, but they borrow the rhythmic template of things like 'just like a baby' and 'unchained melody' evoking his very 3-like, tidal feeling:

sadmanbarty

Triplets and tresillo

Tresillo rhythms are based on dividing beats into 4 notes and not 3. They're in straight time, not in triplets.

We're now seeing a trend of having triplets and tresillo together in rhythms:

sadmanbarty

Metric Modulation

Some tracks go between dividing beats by different amounts.

The first 30 seconds of this is tripletty, sounding like it has a jazz swing, whereas the bit starting at 48 seconds in is normal:

Similarly at 53 seconds into this, it all goes tripletty and swings:

muser

Tresillo rhythms are based on dividing beats into 4 notes and not 3. They're in straight time, not in triplets.

We're now seeing a trend of having triplets and tresillo together in rhythms:

Thats mad, what are you going to coin it, it's like two rhythms playing at the same time... maybe double-rhythm ... multi-rhythm..?? or..?

Leo

I knew it would just be a matter of time until you mentioned Portuguese stuff on Principe, some of it has really screwy beats to my untrained ears.

sadmanbarty

btw, what's up with the deep purple? a closet obsession?

those are literally the only two deep purple songs i know, they just happen to be good illustrations of what i'm talking about.

though i'm sure that 'closet deep purple enthusiast' will now be in third's bollocking arsenal.

sadmanbarty

Thats mad, what are you going to coin it, it's like two rhythms playing at the same time... maybe double-rhythm ... multi-rhythm..?? or..?

well you say that, but those tresillo+triplet rhythms are fairly rare as far as i can tell.

most polyrhythms people talk about are actually a bunch of different straight time rhythms piled on top of each other.

sadmanbarty

I knew it would just be a matter of time until you mentioned Portuguese stuff on Principe, some of it has really screwy beats to my untrained ears.

for all my complaining about people on dissensus not engaging with my threads and all that, i suppose i've never reached out in this respect.

that principe thread is one of the most popular and i haven't had a go on it.

shameless hypocrisy on my part really.

muser

well you say that, but those tresillo+triplet rhythms are fairly rare as far as i can tell.

most polyrhythms people talk about are actually a bunch of different straight time rhythms piled on top of each other.

I joined a djembe club at uni for a few months once so I feel im basically an expert on polyrhythm.

muser

It's great having stuff this broken down a bit by someone were more attuned ears, I can only think of this example and it doesn't count I think cos they're not concurrent,

tbh I'm just blindly assuming that any electronic rhythms from diaspora like batida stuff are informed by some deeper roots.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
That's like swung 3 over 4 just playing slightly late to give it that dragging feel. You hear it in Brazil all the time.