Zizek on US elections

Tobias

I don't know. Maybe I'm simply not cynical enough. But I don't like these everything-has-to-become-worse-so-the-real-confrontation-becomes-visible.
And what does Zizek mean when he says:

"However, in the domain of political organization, Europe is now going much further than the United States has toward constituting itself as an unprecedented, properly “post-modern,” trans-state collective able to provide a place for anyone, independent of geography or culture."

Who is this anyone supposed to be?

He's talking about the "Fortress America" but I'm pretty sure it's still much easier to migrate to the US than to Germany, even though Germany has a liberal red-green government.

I don't know. It seems as being Zizek always means to have a different point of view. He's so stuck in being an orginal thinker, that he's boring.

Greg

His attack on democracy is a little bit simplified, I hope it is in reference to the American system where winner does indeed take all.

Proportional electoral systems tend to displace this a little, and if the U.S. had a proportional democracy, the Democrats would have had significant power to weigh on U.S. policy making. I admit this only in theory as it will almost never happen to the United States in practice.