The Eastenders Thread

Woebot

I watch Eastenders compulsively. It's crap and a complete waste of time, and I thoroughy enjoy it.

ryan17

yes. i have the exact same problem. my obsession with this has lost all sense of irony now and i no longer have an excuse.

its my stupid english flatmate that got me into it. its totally not my fault. (here i go making excuses).

someone is probably working on a cure for it somewhere outside of leeds or something, hopefully we will be cured by the end of the year.

egg

Dumpy's Rusty Nut
switch to coronation street, it's hilarious, the writing is fantastic, and it has ian mckellen in it (for a bit longer anyway)

ryan17

egg said:
switch to coronation street, it's hilarious, the writing is fantastic, and it has ian mckellen in it (for a bit longer anyway)

a suggestion that is almost unforgivable.

egg

Dumpy's Rusty Nut
have you not seen it lately? it's graced by some outstanding writers including jonathan 'gimme gimme gimme' harvey and daran little. perhaps less good on tragedy but it is pretty much as reliably hilarious as 'my parents are aliens'

Woebot

cory is really trendy. all cool people like it. eastenders is striktly for sad gits.

Randy Watson

egg said:
it's graced by some outstanding writers including jonathan 'gimme gimme gimme' harvey

*Coughs, splutters, groans with realisation you are not joking* Gimme Gimme Gimme was just depressingly bad. Along with My Hero and My Family another pointer in Auntie's late nineties cluelessness.

I like Enders and I don't like corrie. My real weakness is Holby - repetitive storylines, bad acting, Tina Hobley, Jesus of Nazareth's bitch tits, Art Malik's hairy back and surgery. An unbeatable combination.

egg

Dumpy's Rusty Nut
did you see the holby this week it was awful!

jonathan harvey is magnificent. have you seen hushabye mountain? (i think it's called...)

egg

Dumpy's Rusty Nut
a play about AIDS and stuff by jonathan harvey, saw it at Sussex Uni a few years ago with Egg from This Life in it, it was great.

refs Judy Garland (probably obviously)

ryan17

we don't get holby north of the border.

we get river city, which is set in glasgow. please try to imagine how uninteresting this show is.

LRJP!

(Between Blank & Boring)
FWIW I always thought it'd be fun to work on the Eastenders set. I mean it's so full of detail - pictures on the fridge and stuff on the sideboards; half ripped flyposters and litter outside the tube station. I swear these little details change/move/adjust through the course of an omnibus. It's beautifully made in that respect i reckon...

though on reflection that maybe a febrile hallucination on my part.

jed_

river city is great - egg, you'd like it, it's extremely funny. almost as good as corrie.

eastenders is terrible.