Who knows about Six. By Seven?

I've been listening to this band ever since I heard 'European Me' in 1997 on the Evening Session (then fronted by the living legend that is Steve Lamacq) and have followed them ever since....well I have slipped a lil' recently but im still a listener....

before I continue with various fanboy comments lol is anyone here actually up on them?

Last edited:
S

simon silverdollar

i used to have an album, or mini-album of their's i think. but the singer's voice annoyed me. too self-consciously portentous. but i was about 15 at the time so what do i know.

martin

----
I remember one of their records, it was boring, but it had a really brilliant ending, all the guitars just went echoey and drifted out of tune,without sounding too much like MBV

Does anyone know what happened to Prolapse?

3underscore

Ha... Six By Seven, Nottingham band. They have been through quite a few line up changes (Sam, the guitarist, left after the second album). I always had a lot of time - both personally and musically - for their drummer. He had a really nice loose style that was pretty rare in bands around that time. European Me was by far their best song, though they didn't like my comment that the guitar sound reminded me, quite randomly, of the horse noise in the Osmonds "crazy horses".

The first album was really quite good (the things we make) as I remember, and some of the second album was alright if I remember rightly. Then they lost their way quite a bit (about the time the artwork went from clearly Peter Saville influenced to pictures of them). Chris olly did have quite an acquired voice though.

As for Prolapse, I haven't the faintest idea. They were one hell of a live band though - sheer chaos to my tiny mind at the time, until I became aware of the fall.

3underscore said:
Ha... Six By Seven, Nottingham band. They have been through quite a few line up changes (Sam, the guitarist, left after the second album). I always had a lot of time - both personally and musically - for their drummer. He had a really nice loose style that was pretty rare in bands around that time. European Me was by far their best song, though they didn't like my comment that the guitar sound reminded me, quite randomly, of the horse noise in the Osmonds "crazy horses".

The first album was really quite good (the things we make) as I remember, and some of the second album was alright if I remember rightly. Then they lost their way quite a bit (about the time the artwork went from clearly Peter Saville influenced to pictures of them). Chris olly did have quite an acquired voice though.

As for Prolapse, I haven't the faintest idea. They were one hell of a live band though - sheer chaos to my tiny mind at the time, until I became aware of the fall.

I was actually upset when Sam left, one of the UK's best kept guitar terrorists....

the first album blew my head clean off....its the passion of it - he sings and they play like the worlds ending on every song....

their still around but run everything off their website www.sixbyseven.com

they really should have won a Mercury or something man....making music that good and to not be commended for it is CRIMINAL....