How "Indie" are you feeling?

• Very

Votes: 19 51.4%
  • Not Very

Votes: 18 48.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Woebot

A passing shot from me, I'm away till Monday 30th May.

Couldn't help but reflect that over the last few months I've ben feeling incredibly "Indie". No NOT Radio 4, Bloc Party and The Futureheads, but very Ariel Pink, The Books, The Lickets, also The Focus Groop. Also really feeling lots of old records, rediscovering things like Devo, The Lemon Kittens, Thomas Leer, Cabaret Voltaire and Josef K.

I certainly haven't felt this positive about bohemian music since 1989. What about you?

Backjob

I clicked 'very' because although I'm not listening to much 'indie' in the traditional sense I think I'm listening to the indie side of lots of non-indie music

e.g.

Grime:

Not listening to: 2004 slick bad-boy merkery
Listening to: 02/03 emo-grime e.g. "Birds in da sky"

Dance:

Not listening to: Glossy big room electrohouse
Listening to: Unsexy convoluted microisms e.g. Mathew Jonson, Sami Koivikko

Hip-hop:

Not listening to: grills and wood-grain-gripping bounce music
Listening to: Nas, Big L, Mobb Deep

mms

sometimes
yep indie as in
gang gang dance
books new lp
various productions - hater 7" .
ricardo villalobos new remix on' it sounds' mit vocals in a 'wrap me in your arms' style
loads of weird mix tape bootlegs of naz, cardinal offishal and odb etc.
the battles
digital mystikz 04
bronnt industries sounding like music to a lost 70's bbc sci fi drama
that wiley mix of ruff sqwad.
virus syndicate lp on planet mu (fucking hell>>)
been listening to y by the pop group alot and some of those egyptian jazz things and tourmani diabate on the kora.

Last edited:
S

simon silverdollar

Backjob said:
I clicked 'very' because although I'm not listening to much 'indie' in the traditional sense I think I'm listening to the indie side of lots of non-indie music

e.g.

Grime:

Not listening to: 2004 slick bad-boy merkery
Listening to: 02/03 emo-grime e.g. "Birds in da sky"

Dance:

Not listening to: Glossy big room electrohouse
Listening to: Unsexy convoluted microisms e.g. Mathew Jonson, Sami Koivikko

me too! altho i'm not sure that birds in da sky is emo-grime, cuz it's all about killing people and being an evil guy...
have you heard the new superpitcher mix? it's the ultimate rainy day/breaking heart/kicking leaves through a park in autumn/ shoegazy tech-house mix.

hint

party record with a siren
pretty darn indie, myself

marine girls and sam prekop yesterday

think it's perhaps the weather - warm, but wet and overcast... perfect conditions for anoraks.

egg

Dumpy's Rusty Nut
WOEBOT said:
I certainly haven't felt this positive about bohemian music since 1989. What about you?
funnily enough i was debating the nature of the true bohemian revolutionary the other day.

freedom, beauty, truth and love, that's wot i say.

anyway wot you mean by 'bohemian music'? nonconformist? "A person with artistic or literary interests who disregards conventional standards of behavior" (dictionary)?

stole a read of the chapter of 'rip it up' on rough trade in the bookshop the other day, and was reminded how unoriginal it is to press your own record, start a label, give catalogue numbers to non-musical items, etc etc, so although it's still a hard slog to be 'indie' it's a well trodden path.

the internet, cheap sequencing and cheap short run vinyl/CD pressing make it easier for artists to do their own thing and that's broadly positive. i am feeling more indie, but we're only re-treading the ground that factory, creation, rough trade etc opened. i am not sure that you are more of a bohemian music maker by doin it yourself and having to be organised and deal with finance. what would be truly bohemian would be to have a wealthy patron and virtually unlimited financial resources administered by someone else entirely - viz Prince for example, or the later Beatles.

bzzz... disorganised thoughts

francesco

Minerva Estassi
WOEBOT said:

Music is only a waste of time and money. Made some comps to friends recently, and there was some indie in those, friends tell me they loved them and enjoy so much make them happier.
My normal reaction to music, every kind, is boredom.

jenks

thread death
I clicked 'very' not so much because of any new music but more cos of all the stuff RIU&SA has thrown up. somewhere deep in me there will always be an 'indie' core just cos that's what got me so excited about music to such an extent i am still wasting working hours answering questions as to how indie i'm feeling :)

owen

its a bit polarised this! in lieu of a 'slightly' option i clicked 'very' cos, well, i have a floppy fringe and a blazer with a badge on it and i really like the Monika label . though 'indie' is the most delibidinising term in the history of popular music...

i like the idea that the bohemians (alsp a rather yucky phrase) are having a revival against the scenius types, but i don't see it myself....haven't heard most of woebot's list

zhao

there are no accidents
as long as by "indie" you don't mean Elliot Smith I have no problems.

I wish all the rest of the heart-felt earnest derivitive baring-your-soul-on-stage type singer/songwriters would kill themselves too.

Scott Walker you are not. fucking indie poseurs.

Elan

Blackbird
Very indie, if 'indie' means Canadian indie music like Arcade Fire, DFA79, Broken Social Scene...the Indie Hour on The Edge is usually the best hour of the week.

daren

Pretty indie! I've been going through my record collection and sorting all my junk to sell. Although some of it is non-indie stuff like Parliament, there's some hidden gems I completely forgot about, such as The Birthday Party.

boones

This thread confuses me. Are we talking about independent labels or indie as in gets all the press-buzzwords-next big thing?I mean, I don't see how Ariel Pink is indie other then the fact that he is on an independent label? Amazing musician though.