Bands/Artists with a PERFECT SOUND

ryan17

Cloud One

patrick adams is the obvious brains behind cloud one's untouchable, floating, smooth sound. i LOVE their sound. i can't get enough of it. there is nothing wrong with the instrumentation on atmosphere strut or spaced out. the instruments 100% compliment each other, everything blends perfectly like it is one perfect machine producing all the sounds. its lack or pretention is wonderful as well.

other suggestions? disagreements maybe?

go disco!

in line with my current thread....

Six. By Seven - jus listen to 'Brilliantly Cute' or 'My Life Is An Accident' or 'The Way I Feel Today and you'll understand....

puretokyo

Mercury Blues
primal scream. velvet underground. joy division. bobby o. coil. cannibal ox. the birthday party. kompakt records.

oh fuck, i'm a goth....

EDIT: I'll add Autechre circa EP7 and Tricky circa Pre-Millienial Tension.

Last edited:

borderpolice

Saint Vitus, circa Scott Reagers

Oval, circa 94 Diskont

UK garage, circa 1998

Vainqueur Reduce 2, on 12'' (doesn't sound quite as good on CD)

Last edited:

jed_

Talk Talk
Bohren und der Club of Gore
The Necks

i absolutely disagree with Primal scream who are fairly messy at times and (probably) intentionally so. in fact i disagree with just about all of puretokyo's suggestions.

puretokyo

Mercury Blues
jed_ said:
Bohren und der Club of Gore

i absolutely disagree with Primal scream who are fairly messy at times and (probably) intentionally so. in fact i disagree with just about all of puretokyo's suggestions.

Bohren I'll agree with, although they don't necessarily work on every stereo system, some better mastering could be in order there.

As for Primal Scream, Screamadelica has an amazingly perfect encapsulation of its particular sound, beautifully executed. And their last two albums have some of the most perfect sonics - messy, distorted, overpoweringly hypnotic/mind-altering - I'm thinking here particularly of 'Accelerator', 'Deep Hit of Morning Sun' and 'Lord is my Shotgun', tracks where I can't even comprehend what is happening at a given time but which are far too dynamic and structured to be called noise. Kevin Shields is a guru. And as for Joy Division, come on... Martin Hannet in his prime? VU with John Cale? Those are arguably 3 of the greatest production talents of all time, all respected for their technical sonic wizardry.

3underscore

I would happily argue for Mark & Moritz's complete Basic Channel works, but the most perfect of them all has been the Burial Mix series. Simply Divine.

puretokyo said:
primal scream. velvet underground. joy division. bobby o. coil. cannibal ox. the birthday party. kompakt records.

oh fuck, i'm a goth....

EDIT: I'll add Autechre circa EP7 and Tricky circa Pre-Millienial Tension.

what Primal Scream though cos their forever changing their sound? not hating...jus asking - I like the Scream.... :p

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Frank Zappa -- Broadway the Hard Way, Joe's Garage

2 Unlimited -- there's no limit

Scritti Politti -- the sweetest girl

Richard Clayderman...

... errr, I think the question could do with refining. What does "perfect sound" mean to you?

If it's really cleanly engineered, well-performed music, you're probably looking at late sixties / early seventies records done at big studios on 16 track 2" tape (or 8 track 1") -- Kind of Blue, Sketches of Spain, In A Silent Way, Physical Graffitti, Abbey Road, the Klemperer stuff, Eagles, mid-late period Stevie Wonder, Headhunters, Closer / Atmosphere, etc etc etc.

Compare contrast wth stuff that was recorded really well, but mixed really badly, or at least unsympathetically, like Bitches Brew or On the Corner (where'd the bass go?)...

3underscore

2stepfan said:
... errr, I think the question could do with refining. What does "perfect sound" mean to you?

If it's really cleanly engineered, well-performed music, you're probably looking at late sixties / early seventies records done at big studios on 16 track 2" tape (or 8 track 1") -- <snip>

Compare contrast wth stuff that was recorded really well, but mixed really badly, or at least unsympathetically, like Bitches Brew or On the Corner (where'd the bass go?)...

2stepfan - I could tell this was coming from someone! The invite for k-punk and our other sound philosophers to enter the fray with treatise on sound! :)

I think what you are looking at is a question that is impossible to conclude on. For me, I would say it requires the position that after prolonged listening, if I hear new elements or whatever, nothing seems superfulous, and nothing abscent from the sound. How to define that - I will never know. But how can you compare the wall of noise of vision creation newsun with the sparse-density of Burial Mix tunes? You surely can't, but both to me take on perfect sound.

S

simon silverdollar

todd edwards has a perfect sound. when st peter meets me at the gates i want 'beckon call' to be playing...

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
3underscore said:
2stepfan - I could tell this was coming from someone! The invite for k-punk and our other sound philosophers to enter the fray with treatise on sound! :)
Well, we don't have to go that far :)

3underscore said:
For me, I would say it requires the position that after prolonged listening, if I hear new elements or whatever, nothing seems superfulous, and nothing abscent from the sound. How to define that - I will never know. But how can you compare the wall of noise of vision creation newsun with the sparse-density of Burial Mix tunes? You surely can't, but both to me take on perfect sound.
Ah. I think we're talking about economy. Not just minimalism, but every element being in perfect proportion with every other.

I'd go for Congo Natty's African Herbsman and Green Shirt by Elvis Costello and the Attractions.

zhao

there are no accidents
I will take "perfect sound" to mean a very developed, mature, unique and refined sound which can't really be taken any further, at the apex of what the artist is trying to do (the sound you just can't fuck with).

I second:

Kompakt, Joy Division, the Velvets, fuck yes Rhythm and Sound / Basic Channel, the Congos, Borhen, Godspeed, and fucking uber yes the Necks.

and I'll add to that: Bauhaus (oh shit I'm a Goth too), Ryuji Ikeda, Carsten NIcolai and the Raster Noton geeks, Merzbow, Giorgio Moroder, Toru Takemitsu, Kaiia Saariaho, Naked City, Hamza El Din, Company Flo, Albert Ayler, Steve Lacy, Evan Parker, all Gamelan, all Morrocan flutes, all Tibetan monks, Mongolian Throat Singing, Nusrat Fateh Ali Kahn (in fact, all traditional indigenous musics), Wire, all Ethiopian jazz funk ala Ethiopiques, Eric B and Rakim... etc etc etc.

oh and ofcourse 2 unlimited, S'express, and C+C Music Factory. (joking)

Buick6

too punk to drunk
Howling Wolf
Velvet Underground
Kraftwerk
AC/DC
The Saints up to 1978
Public Enemy
Pantera
the whole Basic Channel/Maurizio/Burial mix thing