Media Mail?!

boones

What is this? I saw in the local post office, there was a poster that said any media (cd-roms, tapes, etc) had to be examied before sent out. Is this new? Has anybody had any problems with it? I'm confused.

I'm in USA, by the way.

carlos

manos de piedra
i don't know about that. i just sent a bunch of CDs out to places in the USA, Hong Kong, Australia and Europe and nothing was inspected

i think what the poster must have said is that if you send something by "Media Mail" (which is a reduced rate for books and "media") the PO reserves the right to inspect it to see if it actually is media.

polystyle

media mail

Like Carlos , i was just sending out CD's during the past 2 wks to Europe and Japan with no examining,
'cept the usual 'Does your package contain any .... blah, blah , blah ?'

The 'media mail' catagory is funny tho' i tried to send a magazine via media mail only to be told by P O teller that magazines were not media .
Oh ... then lemme see the list of what is and what isn't , please

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
Media mail is for domestic postage only. I use it for 12" all the time (on the recieving end mostly) and I have no complaints, I don't think they get checked. It's a LOT cheaper than priority mail ($1.85 vs $3.85 for example...this stuff adds up) and only a little slower (a week vs. 2 days)