wu tang
premier's beats
illmatic lp
jungle
speed garage/2step
tupac and biggie

martin
25-05-2005, 12:33 PM
I doubt Mojo will mention jungle - it'll be more nostalgic vomit about the recording of Oasis's "difficult" 3rd LP, PJ Harvey retrospectives and the decade that Green Day rescued punk or suchlike.

Did you see Pitchfork's top 100 albums of the 1990s? Managed to avoid the inclusion of one single dancehall or ragga album

ryan17
25-05-2005, 12:33 PM
My Bloody Valentine

stelfox
25-05-2005, 12:53 PM
shaggy

3underscore
25-05-2005, 01:17 PM
A lot will be about Creation, some about the Spice Girls - women take control of pop, a Radiohead "the band that changed a decade" piece, Spiritualized "Ladies and Gentlemen...", The Verve.

Every reason you wouldn't want to read a magazine, really.

Rambler
25-05-2005, 01:21 PM
Hold on - "our equivalent of Mojo", so not the one on the shelves. That one will be Verve, Radiohead, Nirvana, Massive Attack.

Ours: techno techno techno techno, plus everything Luka said.

labrat
25-05-2005, 01:49 PM
aphex twin
stereolab
reinforced/moving shadow
jeff mills

Grievous Angel
25-05-2005, 02:32 PM
moving shadow were shit WAY too much of the time -- how many boring wanky records can one label release?

"our" 90s music is all the stuff Simon really likes in energy flash, plus Missy Elliott, Dre, Timbaland etc, plus u2 (ducks), coldcut (geese), MAW (heron) etc.

And the really good stuff is dancehall.

john eden
25-05-2005, 02:39 PM
Honorable mentions to mid 90s Disciples/Iration Steppas/Rootsman etc on the UK digi dub front. Subsequently followed by a load of imitative rubbish.

See also Basic Channel, etc.

john eden
25-05-2005, 02:40 PM
In fact let's just stuff Kevin Martin's compilations for Virgin in there (Macro Dub Infection, Isolationism, etc) and have done with it.

dominic
25-05-2005, 03:12 PM
can't tell if this is supposed to be:

(1) what the mainstream media says is best of 90s

(2) what dissensus "consensus" says is best

(3) what each of us says is best -- consensus or not

EDIT: suppose (3) is eliminated as this thread is labeled "90s canon"!

dominic
25-05-2005, 03:52 PM
going w/ option # 3 . . . .

RAVE LABELS
91/94 suburban base
91/93 production house
92/93 ibiza/limited e/kemet
91/92 SUAD/ruff quality
early rising high
late 91/92-era XL

RAVE ACTS
omni trio
4hero
psychotropic
genaside ii
liquid

OTHER STUFF
congo natty/rebel mc
massive attack/tricky
disco inferno
early aphex twin
my bloody valentine

then i suppose the whole 2-step thing, of which i'm none too knowledgeable but on occasion rate

as for hip hop -- hardly an aficionado -- but to name the obvious canon = mystikal, outkast, jay z, nas, wu tang, mobb deep, de la soul, jungle bros, public enemy

and, ahem, dancehall

dominic
25-05-2005, 04:25 PM
as for tireless non-canonical labor . . . .

there'll be people doing "nuggets" retrospectives of all the boring 90s genres

e.g., rare gems of mid-90s house

and then probably people focusing every more intently on the sounds of various cities and regions before such places won their 15 minutes of fame

carlos
25-05-2005, 04:31 PM
Merzbow [analog stuff 1990-98ish was his peak]
Death Metal [1990-95 was a "golden age" imho]

hamarplazt
25-05-2005, 07:49 PM
Martin Damm
Alec Empire
Patric Catani
Marc Acardipane

The greatest musicians of the nineties.

gumdrops
25-05-2005, 09:57 PM
it will be:

beck
nirvana/grunge also-rans
oasis
blur
pulp
britpop-also rans
radiohead
coldplay
keane
kylie
pete waterman (they will get tha aplogist treatment - "his songs were arguably as good as becks or gallaghers")
suede
the roots ("they played instruments!")
smashing pumpkins
lauryn hill

this is assuming mojo's rockcentricity doesnt wane. if they get a whole new ethos and canon, well who knows.

Ness Rowlah
26-05-2005, 02:30 AM
personal favs not mentioned (Biosphere and Harris the only probable ones to go in
a magazine canon, Rip&Burn did 100 "Essential electronic tracks" or so
without listing "Popcorn"):

Biosphere (who the hell is Aphex Twin?)
Bob Mould
Morphine
Tindersticks
"Wrecking Ball"/Emmylou Harris

----
And eff it: Omar and Des'ree for when some light goodness was needed:
I still enjoy "There's nothing like this" and parts of "Mind Adventures". Which means I
might as well include Terence Trent D'Arby (now not known as Sananda Maitreya)
first while I am in the mood.
---

Any recommendations for an early 90s dance music sampler?
I know hardly enough about it as "artists" - I've got some
tapes bought around 90-92 but that's all.

There must be some good CD samplers out now - type "Trans Europe Express"-samplers
for electronica; but for dance/club music.

owen
26-05-2005, 02:58 AM
if Mojo ever has marc arcadipane on the cover then it will be after the revolution, no?

failing that i fear gumdrops is right

WE CAN'T LET THIS HAPPEN, PEOPLE!

michael
26-05-2005, 05:14 AM
How about that Portishead remix of Paul Weller then? :D

Oh wait, I actually quite like that tune. :o

Disappointed no one's mentioned the guy who embodies US rave culture, who really saved dance music in a sense, Moby!

dominic
26-05-2005, 06:16 AM
rather than jest, what would people seriously propose for a 90s canon

(who cares what the hypothetical mojo would include?-- and what's the upshot if this mojo would or wouldn't include a label or act? should i write off 4hero or mbv b/c they'd more likely than not be included?)

or as someone suggested above, has blissblogger already covered what interests "us" -- our canon -- in the rave book (i.e., 90s hip hop and rock n roll being mere sideline interests)

even so, given the extensive discography in energy flash, it's perhaps too unwieldly for canonical purposes

plus the joy of making canons is excluding work that so many others think meritorious

martin
26-05-2005, 09:14 AM
The following should definitely make it in

Ninjaman - Bunty Hunter
Beenieman / Bounty Killer - Guns Out
V/A - Ragga Ragga Ragga 2
Shabba Ranks - Just Reality
Jah Shaka - Dub Salute 3

Chef Napalm
27-05-2005, 02:28 PM
Disappointed no one's mentioned the guy who embodies US rave culture, who really saved dance music in a sense, Moby!

No mention of Underworld either. All of Dubnobasswithmyheadman and the Born Slippy 12" are classics.

owen
27-05-2005, 03:30 PM
i'd like to think the 'lost generation' post-rock types (disco inferno, seefeel, bark psychosis, hood, early labradford etc) will be in some future canon.

btw, hamarplazt, o oracle of all things punishing and tuetonic, tell me about martin damm- i can find no info on him whatsoever...

simon silverdollar
27-05-2005, 08:52 PM
fugazi have got to be in there. and slint, obviously. and will oldham.

and i agree with one of the previous posts that digital hardcore has to be in there: only now all the silly hype and sloganeering is done with can the music really be seen to be as good as it is/was, i think.

hamarplazt
27-05-2005, 09:34 PM
btw, hamarplazt, o oracle of all things punishing and tuetonic, tell me about martin damm- i can find no info on him whatsoever...
Damm is better known from his countless pseudonyms: Biochip C, Speed Freak, Steel, Search & Destroy, Phase IV, Cyberchrist, Subsonic 808, RIC etc. What is so amazing about him is his ability to cover almost all kinds of rave and techno music, keeping a perfect balance between scenius accessibility and a personal twist in the sound, making it recognizeable and inimitably him. He made early ("belgian") rave, have been a pioneer of gabber and happy hardcore, and his break beat stuff is up there with the best from the british scene. And then there's the acid and analogoue stuff, and silly house, and experimental electronica, strange things that does't really fit anywhere, as unique as Aphex at his best. He can be noisy and brutal, silly and shamelessly melodic, but also strange, introverted and very, very beautiful.

redcrescent
27-05-2005, 10:55 PM
The following should definitely make it in

Ninjaman - Bunty Hunter
Beenieman / Bounty Killer - Guns Out
V/A - Ragga Ragga Ragga 2
Shabba Ranks - Just Reality
Jah Shaka - Dub Salute 3
...and Buju Banton's 'Til Shiloh

Merzbow [analog stuff 1990-98ish was his peak]
Death Metal [1990-95 was a "golden age" imho]
Total agreement in both cases.

Woebot
30-05-2005, 09:49 AM
luka is almost certainly being wry innit. the whole idea of encoding one's 90s as MOJO fodder, its that "oh it was so much better in my day" crap adult thing. rotten to the core, one can almost feel the gangrene eating away at extremeties as death encoraches.

i suppose it largely depends on what happens to the legacy of dance music. recently i've been feeling like a real old codger in precisely this vein (linernotes for two big underground dance stars of early-mid nineties) i suppose assuming that dance music will be enshrined in much the same way that rock always has been.

HOWEVER, as the weeks go by i feel more and more like dance music (Hip-Hop excepted, not dance music i suppose) is like a mirage. i mean where is dance music? the whole thing about twelve inch singles is that they sort of destabilise this sort of thing anyway, its much easier to create a history out of the LP form. the lack of visual component may also be a huge problem:

photo of rave
photo of under-designed record
photo of artist in tracksuit
er, thats it.....

versus the HUGE image palatte of "historic rock"

i reckon Hip-Hop will get written alongside all the rubbish (Blur) you can just visualise the WuTang being admitted, in the same manner that MOJO deals quite "sympathetically" with Old Soul music.

Token "dance" entries:
Tricky: Maxinquaye
Goldie: Timeless elpee
(that wraps up "TripHop" and "Jungle")

R'n'B (excepting Neptunes first LP and Missy's 1st), Gabba, Dancehall, Two Step and Hardcore, not a hope in hell.

The Aphex Twin BOUND to get a big chapter though, which love some of his stuff as I do, I can't help but feeling ambivalent about.......