dj godfather

bassnation

the abyss
as promised, heres the first godfather mix, a soundclash of sped-up hip hop, miami bass, jungle and everything inbetween with deck skills so ruff it makes your eyes water.

http://bassnation.uk.net/sound/godfather.mp3

i'll dig out the other one i have and post that up soon, along with the AWOL xmas 1993 mix.

would love to hear peoples opinions on this mix!

marc

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
You are one righteous dude, Marc. Thanks for getting this done so quickly, and i'm sure I speak for most people on here when I say that. Well, the ones with taste ;)

C

captain easychord

this looks great! i'll listen to it on the way to school.

S

simon silverdollar

i can't get over how good this is!
takes yr breath away...
thank you thank you a million times for posting up the audio of this.

C

captain easychord

this mix is ridiculously good!!! he's so tight and quick on the decks, i can't imagine what the energy is like when he plays live...

bassnation

the abyss
captain easychord said:
this mix is ridiculously good!!! he's so tight and quick on the decks, i can't imagine what the energy is like when he plays live...

hes pretty much the same live. this is all done on three decks btw, without fx or any re-editing.

what i like about it is that its 4 to the floor mostly, but the way he mixes it up is very reminiscent of 'ardkore fast chopping and cutting. its like jungle crossed with jacking house with tourettes syndrome. for an old raver like me it taps right into your brain.

one of my favourite bits on it is where he cuts up rnb with a booty track, it sounds like this:

rnb vocalist: "i'm looking for a man to love me, someone to appreciate me"
booty vocal: "LETMESEEYOUPUMPTHATPUSSY"
repeat ad infinitum...

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Yeh, this is very good, thanks Marc. I must admit that I was getting a little disappointed with the first fifteen minutes (I'm just not too sure I'm into ghettotech half as much as I'm into Miami bass, possibly because the latter seems to retain more of the sinister electro synths etc. - maybe I'm wrong), but by God it gets going after that. Anything that drops squiggly acid riffs and then jumps into sped-up 'One in a Million' is alright by me. And by the time he dropped 'Hypnotise' on +16 or something, I was, er, 'avin it.

bassnation

the abyss
baboon2004 said:
Yeh, this is very good, thanks Marc. I must admit that I was getting a little disappointed with the first fifteen minutes (I'm just not too sure I'm into ghettotech half as much as I'm into Miami bass, possibly because the latter seems to retain more of the sinister electro synths etc. - maybe I'm wrong), but by God it gets going after that. Anything that drops squiggly acid riffs and then jumps into sped-up 'One in a Million' is alright by me. And by the time he dropped 'Hypnotise' on +16 or something, I was, er, 'avin it.

yeah, the first chunk of the mix is very jacking and repetitive - i'd say more of a dj funk / dancemania stylee but then it gets a lot more hip hop influenced with lots of electro, scratching and all kinds of other influences. weird the way he veers into slow hip hop for the final part of the mix, almost like he wants to establish his hip hop credentials.

i've read previously that he hates house music, which is kind of odd considering he drops armand van helden the funk phenomenon in the mix, but i guess armand is from the hip hop side of things too.

heres an interview with godfather if anyones interested:
http://redbullmusicacademy.com/TUTORS.9.0.html?act_session=31

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I'm glad you agree that the first quarter is a bit of a letdown, cos I thought I was seriously missing something there for a while :) As for him hating house music, I can't really see how that could be true given the similarity of the whole vibe of that set to some of the 2nd wave Chicago stuff for a start (Green Velvet, Boo Williams etc). There's that same dirty, fucked-up, slightly evil thing going on there to my ears.

As for the interview, nice to see someone reclaim the term 'DJ tool' for the forces of good.

matt ob

captain easychord said:

Saw DJ'ing him a few years ago at The Clinic, it was mesmerising to watch him. He was slamming the tunes into the mix before he had matched the beats and kept the tracks in time by winding the vinyl with his one hand whilst pitching it up. He got through an amazing amount of tunes in the two hours or so he was on the decks and never let the beats drop once.

xero

was minusone
godammit got to this thread too late, would love to hear this mix but it looks like the link no longer links, any chance of fixing it up?

D

droid

minusone said:
godammit got to this thread too late, would love to hear this mix but it looks like the link no longer links, any chance of fixing it up?

I got it just in time, but i know loads of people who are still want it! I assume it was taken down to make room for Pt 2.. which i am eagerly anticipating..

bassnation

the abyss
droid said:
I got it just in time, but i know loads of people who are still want it! I assume it was taken down to make room for Pt 2.. which i am eagerly anticipating..

sorry about that, the server was down for a while.

its back up now, so feel free to get the file - just a quick note though, download instead of stream if you can, because i've only got 10 gigs of bandwidth left this month! some mixes have proved very popular! :D

D

droid

Nice one! Have you changed the link though? its still not working..

john eden

male pale and stale
He's gone over his bandwidth now, so you have to wait until the end of the month, I think.

Which is a pisser because I haven't heard the Stelfox one yet!

bassnation

the abyss
john eden said:
He's gone over his bandwidth now, so you have to wait until the end of the month, I think.

Which is a pisser because I haven't heard the Stelfox one yet!

arrgghh. i remember - last night i renamed my sound directory to stop my bandwidth from going over the limit. i've just procured some more, but i haven't renamed the directory.

however, the next mix in the series is definitely up there:

http://bassnation.uk.net/sound_1/godfatherthebombvol3.mp3

please download rather than stream - to save my bandwidth. only got 10gbs for the rest of november!

enjoy!