krs 1

gumdrops

i was thinking of going, just cos ive never seen him in my life. i hope he makes it to british shores ok and doesnt annoy anyone on the ferry with his rants.

Melchior

Taking History Too Far
So what's the deal with him not flying? They advertised him out here, and then cancelled cos he wouldn't get on a plane.

hint

party record with a siren
VIBE Online: Have you been asked by Bill O’Reilly to be on his show?

KRS-One: Never! He’ll never invite me. When the Ludacris thing with Pepsi happened we called them right away to say, “There is another voice that you need to hear.” But they don’t want to hear it. They need to pull Cam’ron on there. But when they put Cam’ron on, 50 million people in the United States said, “Why don’t you have KRS-One? Why don’t you have Chuck D? Why don’t you have Talib Kweli?” That’s the un-knowing. That’s when you don’t do nothing and justice appears.

I would ruin him. It’s beyond an interview. I would ruin his career. You don’t battle KRS-One. You know what it is. I’m not just trying to win; I’m trying to destroy you. Period. And I will. So when I get in front of Bill O’Reilly record the show and label it the “Death of Ignorance.” They don’t want me on that show.

yeah - that's right, KRS... 50 million people said "why don't you have talib kweli?"

full story

tryptych

waiting for a time
Hahaha.. that vibe piece is great:

"Nas has issues. He’s in the hood, Queensbridge projects, he’s gotta keep it real with the fellas. Then he picks up the phone and talks with me discussing NASA and the universe and hip hop’s role on Mars. When I asked him, “Nas I want you to speak at NASA,” he hung up the phone on me. He couldn’t take it. He called me back an hour later saying, “Yo, man. I’m sorry man. Yo, man. Yo, you just too much man. I had to take a breather.”

Brilliant.

Melchior

Taking History Too Far
The problem is that I love KRS' flow and all, but holy fuck I know too many people who actually think he has something of importance to say. He's got the stupidest outlook on the universe this side of the Da Vinci Code, and just like that people go "ooooh, he's got musical talent, therefore everything he says about metaphysics must also have value'.

Like fuck it does.

gumdrops

yes he may be self righteous and have a bloated sense of importance but he pulls it off cos hes not a pompous, overtly serious bore about it all. he makes it almost fun! the problem i saw tonight was that he was reciting the same old platitudes from the mind of KRS, the usual '5 elements of hip hop' spiel, the same old 'im taking you to a higher level', the same 'this is what REAL hip hop is' speech. i wasnt convinced. this may be cos i am now 25 rather than 15 but it just seemed a bit hollow and unconvincing. perhaps im just a patronising cynic but i cant help thinking that krs is still simply just a bullshit merchant who in between the occasional astute observation, simply gets by by talking pure bollocks! hes like a hustler of intelligence!

in his favour though, KRS has a lot of charisma, hes a fantastic performer and well, at least he tries to say something about issues that are on his mind, which is more than most rappers these days. that would imply krs is still relevant today though, but im not sure how true that is.

the other thing that struck me about the show is how stuck in time it was, i dont think i heard one new beat being played for him to rap over, it was all typicall 90s classics, which was actually, dull, predictable, and akin to a nostalgic oldies show in a way. youd think the 'teacher' would stay up to date and at least show he hasnt lost touch. he might not agree with a lot of what passes for hip hop content these days, but stylistically, he now sounds several leagues behind the llikes of bun b or paul wall. still, despite his incenssant babbling (which cut in quite severely into the number of songs he actually performed), he puts on a good show. and hes made lots of good records.