Rave mix ('90-'92) for your pleasure.

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
Here's a mix I cooked up in Acid a few years ago. I took rave tunes from around 1990 to 1992 that I never listened to and made something that I could enjoy in the car. Influenced by Hawtin's DE9:Closer to the Edit and Hit the Decks series of mixes. Some of the tracks were heavily edited to keep out the wack bits (mostly the rapping). The mix is at 135 bpm and some of the tracks had to be pretty heavily sped up but it's not very noticeable. I made the playlist from memory so maybe a few tunes are misnamed. The quality is pretty low because it kept the size of the files down when I was working with them (I didn't have such a big harddrive back then).

I am pretty happy with the result. There's only two things that I wish I changed: the hyper go go track shouldn't have been left playing for so long and "love decade - so real" is turned up way too loud (I was a bit fond of it at the time). My favorite part is the last 20 minutes where it goes really dark.

size: 2 files, 21 megabytes each.
format: mp3, 64kpbs, mono, 22Khz
playing time: 2 files, 46 minutes each

side A (30 tracks):

carlos peron - power trancefer
6 bells all - me the mailman
egma - let the bass kick
golden girls - kinetic
love decade - dream on
rebel mc - wickedest sound
altern 8 - real time status
shades of rhythm - sweet sensation
psychopaths - killer mummy
shades of rhythm - armageddon
bowa - different story
gto - pure
bassheads - is there anybody out there
guru josh - infinity
amnesia - burning up
n joi - ???
westbam - mayday anthem
atomizer 2 - freedom, liberty
trigger - stratosphere
uptempo - mental techno
m17 - rockin' down the house
electroset - how does it feel
cls - can you feel it (dub mix)
blapps posse - bring it on down
rebel mc - tribal base
dee patten - who is the badman
elevation - can you feel it
skin up - blockbusters
shaft - roobarb & custard
shades of rhythm - extacy

side b (20 tracks):

s-bam - take me away
together - hardcore uproar
A Homeboy, A Hippie & A Funki Dredd - total confusion
hyper go go - never let go
visionmasters feat. kylie minogue - keep on pumpin' it
sub love - one by one
love decade - so real
rhythm section - feel the rhythm
shades of rhythm - everybody
n joi - anthem
smallage - people of all nations
n joi - rhythm zone
awesome 3 - hard up
timebase - fireball
the prodigy - g-force
turntable overload - t.t.o. (o.t.t. mad bastard mix)
landlord - i like it
the hypnotist - death by dub
holy noise - psycho (?)
spiral tribe - forward the revolution

here's a link to side A:
http://s47.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2BLQ56DQ3N2C72E3CUI927N3C1

here's side B:
http://s45.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=396EAZLW1Q8Y81UJ90QG31XJ2D

Last edited:

dominic

Beast of Burden
this looks brilliant -- thanks!

my favorite era of music w/o doubt

i'm practically drooling looking at the track list -- very very strong, top to bottom

awesome 3 -- hard up -- much neglected classic!

dominic

Beast of Burden
regarding psychopaths -- killer mummy -- quite excellent like all stuff by psychopaths

and "killer mummy" is a good example of what i call "horror" rave

there were tons of 90/92 rave tracks that had horror samples like this -- such as "hi i'm chucky/wanna play . . . . mommy mommy/chucky's gone" -- and these were usually really wicked party tracks, floor fillers, half mad, bad ass

------------ and you can draw a straight line from these top of the party tracks to the darkside stuff of 93, which, unlike pretty much everyone else on dissensus, i think pretty bloody boring

i.e., whether something's avant or not carries no weight with me, my only criterion is whether it's wicked or not

horror rave is wicked

darkside is spartan, ahedonic, masculine, boring

best 93 stuff is rather the zany jungle party stuff on ibiza and related labels

dominic

Beast of Burden
i describe my own taste as "deep junglistic hardcore" -- plus some belgian a la fierce ruling diva, some piano anthems, and some italian house

which is to say, i'm not too keen on grooverider and topp buzz 91/92 mixes -- too hyperkinetic, not enough soul power

think genaside ii "narra mine" is truly the greatest rave track

plus the better known hits by production house

shut up and dance, reel to reel, liquid/numatic/sl2 on XL, n-joi, psychotropic

that's the creme de la creme of peak-period rave music

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
Then you will probably like another acid mix I made. That one is mostly very obscure darkside but ravier than that Twist mix. It's got that Chucky track, some Twilight Zone sampling Bay B Kane, early Trace and others. I'll put it up sometime later. It should be a little better quality as well. Though I don't enjoy listening to it as much as this one.

Last edited:

nomos

Administrator
DigitalDjigit said:
Then you will probably like another acid mix I made. That one is mostly very obscure darkside but ravier than that Twist mix. It's got that Chucky track, some Twilight Zone sampling Bay B Kane, early Trace and others. I'll put it up sometime later. It should be a little better quality as well. Though I don't enjoy listening to it as much as this one.
:eek: please!

dominic

Beast of Burden
first, both mixes were very well mixed -- nicely done

second, i've been trying to ID the s-bam "take me away" track for ages -- so thanks for the incidental ID

third, and for whatever it's worth, my favorite part of the stuff you posted is the second half of side b

and i think the holy noise track you posted is "the nightmare"

and the spiral tribe track is absolutely brilliant and would fetch a small fortune on e-bay (though you'd be a fool to ever sell it)

WEll, I've listened to a lot of old skool mixes in my time, but these stand out. Many of these are the tracks that stood out for me at the time and I haven't really heard or though of since. True old skool that capture the bulletproof, blinkered optimism of the time.

notoriousJ.I.M

Thanks for putting this up, i just listened to side a and went all misty eyed. Can't wait to listen to side b turned up loud tomorrow especially for the darkcore ending.

D

droid

Any chance of a reload anyone? I was broadbandless for the last 2 weeks...

Trollbass

Hi

yeah this sounds/looks great.

can i have it tooo. oooooh pleeeeaaseee pwetty pwetty pleeeeaase

Trollbass

Last edited:

ambrose

btw that gto - pure tune has been rereleased....on kompakt!

speicher 30 is tricky disco, and wit h"pure" as the b side! great aint it that i only realsied his after spending loads on buying the original thru gemm :(