Andy Goldsworthy

Woebot

I used to be quite fond of this guys work, but gradually came to think of it as being really naff.

I think maybe there's TOO MUCH imagery in the constructions he makes. He can't resist his little new-age symbolism, there's so many Japanese-Print-style circular suns, too many pyrmaids, stone circles, quotations of Klee and Hans Arp. Isnt it possible to do this sort thing without interfering so much visually?

Also his success! Like the horrible snob I am I'll have to admit finding something slightly spoit by its ubiquitousness. And this has had another negative spin-off, much in the oft-remarked way that Advertising music ingested Jungles' breakbeat, you'll find Goldsworthy influenced graphic design everywhere. Just the other day I was in the Orange shop (oggling mobile phones) and they had a Goldsworthy-inspired shop interior, eugh.

However I picked up my book of him the other day and found these, where he's lain down in rain and snow, which are exactly what i'd like to see more of. And which RULE:

Last edited:

labrat

hot on the heels of love
even those are terrible,I really hate ...him all his stuff has ever done is plagiarise 70's land art (Richard Long,Ian Hamilton Finlay etc) smooth out the ruff edges and amp up the lyrical qualities. ALL his horrible books areTHE dictionary defination of a Coffee Table book.(the works shown remind me of those american ''snow angel '' things-but worse)
sorry bad mood..........

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
well I like the personal nature of the work compared to all the pompous grandiosity of 70s earth-works. in a perfect world you would just stumble across something like that on a walk or a hike in the mountains, be amazed for a minute, and forget about it as you went on your way.

Woebot

labrat said:
even those are terrible,I really hate ...him all his stuff has ever done is plagiarise 70's land art (Richard Long,Ian Hamilton Finlay etc) smooth out the ruff edges and amp up the lyrical qualities. ALL his horrible books areTHE dictionary defination of a Coffee Table book.(the works shown remind me of those american ''snow angel '' things-but worse)
sorry bad mood..........

:)

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
I like all his stuff.

The more "new age" imagery the better, as far as I'm concerned.

(Actually I'd call it pagan more than new age, but then I like his work...)