Political Film

O

Omaar

Battle of Algiers is exceptionally good film, I think it was recently touched up and re-released, so seeing it in a cinema might even be an option.

I also quite like Costa-Gavras's films which feel very similar to this pseudo-documentary style.

Someone told me Battle of Algiers is screend to US Troops learning about urban guerilla warfare.

owen

heheh whenever anyone says 'yes, but has a political film ever actually CHANGED anything' the battle of algiers always gets brought up...(wonder why? wasn't there already a huge opposition to the algerian war in france in the late 50s?) i really ought to see it

ta for the link....glad to see all the various leftish documentaries doing so well at the moment ('the corporation', those films on al-jazeera and fox, and especially the terrific 'czech dream')- but some actual experimental or fiction agitprop would be most welcome (and not by lars von trier!)

of course as a brecht groupie, my favourite 'political film' is Kuhle Wampe. lots of formal experimentation, ferociously dissonant music, the most shocking opening suicide in film history evah, startlingly pretty leading actress

oh and 'i am curious- yellow' is actually an excellent political film as well as sexploitation....

very keen on the vertov 'man with a movie camera' idea of making a film that is immanently marxist, rather than just with a rabble rousing plot or subject...not much sign of that, i suppose for obvious reasons