Public Enemies Grime 05a

Woebot

Public Enemies - Grime 05a

Just put together my latest CD-R round up of the Grime scene.

These are my favorite comercially-available tracks from the past six months:

------------------

1-3. Come from the Aim High Volume 2 CD.

4-9. An astonishing 6 tracks (all solid gold) are Ruff Sqwad tunes. These boys are really carrying the can for the whole scene at the moment. Damn I love them. A year or so ago (even after Anna) I was really sceptical of their talent, but believe, they've MORE than delivered the goods. So hot right now.

11-12. Come from the Aftershock Mix CD. Mixtapes seem to be sopping up alot of the "proper" release material. Combined with TD's and Wiley's seeming reluctance to actually put out music without a chance of serious remuneration.

13-14. Only two tracks from Jammer's slew of releases. Murcul Man is crap but I have a real affection for it. Luka will tell you why.

15-16 Fire Camp Bizniss. "No" trumps "Pow" for me anyday. "Backwards" a bit daft, but it just about makes the grade (only two tracks I couldnt fit on this comp, usually I cast aside 5-10)

19. Ebony and Ivory, an obscure but fantastic track. There seem to be a lot less of these one-offs from small crews. My other 3 compilations Grime Scene, Grime04aCD and (its imaginatively titled successor) Grime04bCD were full of this kind of spirited orphanry. Not a good sign really, shows consolidation around "the names" Reminds me of the times near the end of my dalliance with Jungle when THE ONLY things I was picking up were Full Cycle and V tracks (which was more or less the same label).

22-23 Two very hot instrumentals. The more I hear "Shank" the more I think it stands up on its own. Heard a bloke called Tim playing this the other night at the ICA (totally Dissensus set he was spinning) went and said hi, and met man-like Trevor Jackson for the first time (anyway, i digress ;))

---------------

I'm only offering this to Dissensus members with over two hundred posts. Email me alias@hollowearth.org with your addresses and I'll pop it in the post.

Last edited:

Melchior

Taking History Too Far
WOEBOT said:
I'm only offering this to Dissensus members with over two hundred posts. Email me alias@hollowearth.org with your addresses and I'll pop it in the post.

Are you sure you want to encourage "post-whoring" to that degree? I could be on 200 by the end of the day without breakign a sweat, but I'm pretty sure not all of it will be useful or interesting.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
Shank Riddim is breathtaking. But i possibly prefer the 'Heat Up instrumental' which seems to be in Rhythm Division now. Love the backwards guitar.

S

simon silverdollar

WOEBOT said:
4-9. An astonishing 6 tracks (all solid gold) are Ruff Sqwad tunes. These boys are really carrying the can for the whole scene at the moment. Damn I love them. A year or so ago (even after Anna) I was really sceptical of their talent, but believe, they've MORE than delivered the goods. So hot right now.

ha, i knew you'd come round!

DJL

i'm joking
I agree with your comments on the Ebony and Ivory track - something different, reminds me of '92 hardcore.

Woebot

Clubberlang said:
But where is track 10 from?!?! Inquiring minds want to know!

thats off the latest slew dem twelve (the yellow one, not the red one with the layla sample)

silverdollar said:
I knew you'd come round

hand on heart, i just couldnt hear that much in the earlier tapes you sent me, or in their earlier records:
function out da low, pied piper, xtc and tings in boots - i bought all of these, and i just dont think they merited yours and luka's hype...

the earliest one i really liked was live injection (which again i got) anna was a shift up in gear as far as i was concerned, but then the guns and roses CD came out, which i thought was crap, and we're back to square one.

these past few months though i really think theyve REALLY hit their stride.

but si, if you heard it back then i'll concede youve every right to gloat :)

Tim F

Matt did you ever hear Ruff Squad's "R.U.F.F."? That was the really urgent and key track of theirs back in day (my favourite grime track from '03 actually). "Misty Cold" too although not to quite the same extent.

Guns & Roses is a bit disappointing innit, at least compared to what they're capable of. I was saying on ILM that maybe the big difference in approach b/w Aim High 2 and G&R (apart from difference in strict sonics and rappers etc) is that Target (and Danny Weed and friends) have this sound that can sorta slip over the borders into "proper hip hop" and back again into "proper grime" really successfully so there's this strong best of both worlds feel. Whereas with G&R you've got the tracks that sound like Ruff Squad and the tracks that either are or could be hip hop freestyles, and neither seem to exist on the same page really.

Woebot

Tim F said:
Matt did you ever hear Ruff Squad's "R.U.F.F."? That was the really urgent and key track of theirs back in day (my favourite grime track from '03 actually). "Misty Cold" too although not to quite the same extent.

no i missed that, though i was pretty much on the ball in 2003 (less so 2002 :eek:)

Tim F said:
Guns & Roses is a bit disappointing innit, at least compared to what they're capable of. I was saying on ILM that maybe the big difference in approach b/w Aim High 2 and G&R (apart from difference in strict sonics and rappers etc) is that Target (and Danny Weed and friends) have this sound that can sorta slip over the borders into "proper hip hop" and back again into "proper grime" really successfully so there's this strong best of both worlds feel. Whereas with G&R you've got the tracks that sound like Ruff Squad and the tracks that either are or could be hip hop freestyles, and neither seem to exist on the same page really.

(gulp) it might just be down to the fact that the Weed/Target productions are "technically" MUCH better productions. when you polish up the coin of the UK "proper hip hop" sound, it ends up glinting in a distinctively british manner. rapid and them lot's production is so poor that their hip-hop riddims just sound like poor copies swathed in murk.

obv the murk suits grime basically, and they've made something of it in these recent productions.

3underscore

ryan17 said:
so can we paypal you if we don't have 200+ replies?

My plan was to wait till I reach 200 and resurrect the thread! Mind, I *think* I have all the vinyls of what he lists, so as soon as I get round to buying Aim High 2 - jobs a good un.

Surprised Sidewinder isn't on there, and I guess Akala's Roll Wid Us is too string laden. I might have chucked South Side Allstars on as it is so funny at times.

ryan17

well thats the ting innit? all the people who have round 200+ replies already live in london anyway and already have access to most of the music.

3underscore

ryan17 said:
well thats the ting innit? all the people who have round 200+ replies already live in london anyway and already have access to most of the music.

I think it is pretty harsh to suggest that everyone on here is London based who posts a lot. Autonomic, Dominic and several others are in the 200+ clan, and essentially setting such a rule is just to save Matt having a hell of a time recording them all.

Besides, you should be able to get hold of them with some effort, especially if in Edinburgh (I should know, that's where I shipped most my stuff). Boomkat carry a fair amount of dubstep now, and then the same old four for other grime tracks.

Plus - the only reason I have most of this is because I have a hideous addiction to buying records. Yes, I am in London, but that has just meant I save on postage nowadays.