Earth2 - drone, doom

believekevin

Had supper over Earth2 and Noothgrush last night. It had me thinking of headier dubstep mixes at times. Highly repetitive with subtle shifts in texture and tone. Is anyone else on this board interested in drone / doom metal?

daren

I had a deep interest in the doom-drone thing until I was just saturated and stopped caring. I have a friend who is an obsessive collector with this stuff and most things stoner and doom.

I did see Thrones last summer and I thought it was amazing how Joe Preston was able to pull it off by himself.

LRJP!

(Between Blank & Boring)
I love Earth 2! Not least because it’s cover refuses classic stoner/drone tropes in favour of more blank Pop minimalism…

I’ve started exploring this stuff to try and make more common ground with my for real Metal mates (Amerie just won’t cut it with these folks really *sigh*) I was the catalyst in getting them to go see Sunn O))) last year which divided them down the middle really, but I thought it was fantastic.

Surely since both musics seem defined by bass frequency as opposed to any other particular characteristic there’s some parallels to be made? I guess i'm as much a dilettante when it comes to both scenes.

believekevin

just found out khanate are touring the US this autumn. earth is playing some shows.

re: the dubstep connection.
in my experience, dubstep works best when it is almost oppressively heavy or dark. the earth2 album is the definition of this description.. i can imagine some dubstep mixes with big doomy bass droning beneath it.

huffafc

Mumler
More trauma

There is definitely a difference in my mind between Khanate and Sunn O)) along with other more droney Earth-worshippers.

SunnO)), following in the wake of Earth, has this very reductionist aesthetic, playing very long, very repetitive songs that seem to place the emphasis on exploring all the possible sounds a resonating, distorted power chord can make, while inducing a slo-mo metal trance in the listener. Khanate seems to utilize some of the same sounds for a totally different experience. Khanate’s music is actually terrifying and often jarring. You don’t space out listening to a Khanate record.

And although I love Earth and ambivalently enjoy Sunn O)) I think there is a lot more room for expansion in Khanate’s traumatic doom than Sunn O))/Earth’s sleepy doom. How many Earths do we really need?

michael

Bring out the vacuum
A friend put me on to these guys called Bohren and the Club der Gore, which are something like the super slow doom thing applied to quiet electric jazz. The Necks at 16rpm maybe? 'In A Silent Way' meets Sabbath? Maybe Badalamenti meets Sabbath? Ah, whatever....

daren

I would say Khanate's "Things Viral" is probably my most favorite in the doom/drone since there was only the slightest hint of a beat.

believekevin

i will definitely delve deeper into khanate .. i've just been a casual observer to my roommate's obsessions.

branching this topic slightly, we had an dark, uninterrupted, extraordinarily loud "dopesmoker" listening a few months ago. what a great record that is, mythology and all.