mathew jonson live set

ambrose

wow! this will make up for all the times i missed matthew jonson play when he came to theu k. well, maybe its not quite as good over my computer speakers but.....

mpc

wasteman
there's waaaaay too much hype around jonson. i've got a few of his records and i like them, but he isn't amazing. he doesn't even sing, like matthew dear does...

ambrose

yeah but matthew dear's never made a tune as good as typerope....also, jsut being brave enough to sing (which i appreciate is some feat for many former idm geeks) doesnt make you good, it helps if you can actually sing as well

i mean, look how everyone loves jamie liddell, mainly becasue he is credible and does that "cheesey singing thing"! so now the arid WarpDesert of cut up breaks and dsp can have its on oasis of slight interest!

mms

sometimes
mpc said:
there's waaaaay too much hype around jonson. i've got a few of his records and i like them, but he isn't amazing. he doesn't even sing, like matthew dear does...

i haven't heard much hype,he's done a few good tunes and some people have enjoyed em, possibly talked about this to other people, which i suppose these days is enough for a backlash, which is always a miserable disappointment.
I'm glad he doesn't sing though as it would mean the cut of the record would be quieter to include the instrumental and vocal versions of his tracks.
I thought this mix was pretty good but i can't suspend my disbelief to say its anything more. I just thought people here might like to hear it.

As for Jamie Lidell i think the fact that he sings is only about a quarter of the story.

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
I hope the "he doesn't sing" comment was a joke. "Typerope" I just don't get, and Matthew Dear did make a better tune than that "Dog Days". But whereas that's about the only thing I like from Dear, Jonson has a at least a few other cool tracks.

mpc

wasteman
i wasn't referring to anyone here hyping him up.

although, in my experience, everyone who i have heard mention his name has said he is absolutely amazing. every time i go into phonica they have a handful of jonson records they insist on me listening to. he has made some nice techno/electro style stuff and it's all very nice etc. but i don't see how he is anything better than quite good. every online record shop is wanking over hime (warpmart, boomkat, piccadilly...) i own 2 of his recent releases, which i like, but i wouldn't go any further than that.

i was joking about the singing.

matthew dear IS better. jack has about 10 of his records and they are all wicked and he has some amazing catchy sing along click stuff.