Roll Deep- In At The Screwed End

Radioclit

rolldeep.jpg

http://www.radioclit.com

mpc

wasteman
i was doing this whole screwed thing when i was about 12. i'd play a record at the wrong speed. i was crazy like that.

Last edited:

outraygeous

i heard the chopped and screwed mix of still tippin on the launch website

its pooy, whats all the fuss about?

Radioclit

ll cool j "i need love " too

you dont like screwed and chopped logan?

we're just having fun with a great album, nothing more.

it seems that people are more excited by the kano album than by the roll deep one

and that not a lot of people are getting the avenue. shame!

also its funny how some songs of that album screwed sound like some 8ball and mjg stuff

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
Had a listen to a couple of tracks; can't say that it sounds all that good, to be honest. It's pretty lame.

Some s&c stuff that I've heard is good (hold tight David D for hooking me up with the old DJ Screw stuff, and the OG Ron C sets) but a lot of it is just novelty wank like, er, this.

Keith P

draw for the drumstick
Went and downloaded it. I think its an interesting idea to put the screwed and chopped twist on UK music.(there's a dude on the RWD forums who was posting up screwed and chopped versions of UKHH awhile back) As I was telling Logan I'd like to hear Michael Watts do it.
My complaint is that I was hearing more juggling than anything else. I found myself on some of the tunes sitting and waiting for the chopped sequences to begin(and coming in quite late in some instances.)

Being in texas, when I hear something screwed and chopped I'm expecting the record to consistently double up from the first 4/8 bars to the very end of the tune.

Fiddy

I don't think I'll really get this screwed and chopped thing until I'm off my head on cough medicine

believekevin

Far from emperor's new clothes. Perhaps that is the overseas perspective?

http://houstonsoreal.blogspot.com
http://www.screweduprecords.com/store2.html

Screw music is produced in massive quantities. Just about every record that has interested me lately has showed up somewhere in a screwed and chopped version. I mean, OG Ron C is on edition 41 of his Fuck Action mix series!

The -12% turntable mixing and scratching evident on DJ Screw's tapes is generally more exciting than contemporary stuff digitally edited. Song selection is really important.. it's interesting to see how durable some MCs can be. You'll know Tupac after 1 line, even in a screwed version.

I listened to the screwed "Still Tippin" so much that when it started to pop as a single up on Boston radio, it always sounded cartoonishly fast.

Furthermore, any genre in which the cassette is still a viable form earns my attention and respect.

juliand

The Emperor's New Clothes? Funny, Logan, that's what many on the west coast are saying about grime (the most embarrassing example being Eric Arnold's essay <a href="http://music.eastbayexpress.com/Issues/2005-05-18/music/close2thaedge_1.html">"Waiting for the Grime Wave"</a> in the East Bay Express last month).

I think screw's the most sonically interesting music being made in the United States right now. Beyond the initial sense of disbelief one has on the first few listens--my initial reaction when I heard it four years ago was laughter--is an entire, other, time-bent world. When it's done manneristically, as it is with these Roll Deep screws, it can be tacky and underwhelming. But I'd be surprised if someone with a broad, curious ear couldn't hear something unique--and, in some ways, morphologically similar to grime--going down in the Swishahouse mixtapes. Even the Roll Deep screws click sometimes: compare the versions of "Show You", and listen to the pitched-down flute line.

Stelfox's dub comparison on the proper Screw thread could be right, but screw reads to me as something discovered in the genetic code of hiphop--was it David Toop who wrote that hiphop's major musical achievement was fucking with time?

Of course, once you're used to screw's drowsy tempo, grime sounds chipmunk-y, bewildering, and neurotic. This slow shit ain't for everyone.

Last edited:

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
I like some of the music made.

I just think that basic premise of taking a tune, pitching it down and doubling it up here and there sounds incredibly crap.

I understand that there are a number of talented artists who can transform pieces of music into something entirely different via this technique and create an interesting soundscape. However every hipster wannabe dj in the english speaking world knocking up shabby examples such as this is why it truely is the emperor's new clothes.

I don't doubt that most of the entire continental United States doesn't appreciate or in fact like Grime. But that's to be expected when you have an entrenched accepted set of sounds in place and something which is sonically different from it's foundations, yet superficially similar, is played to them.

I don't want to generate an OMG HE SAID s&c IS RUBBISH! S&C VS GRIME TO THE DEATH!!!1 debate. I believe all forms of music should stand alone and be appreciated on their own merits. I just... don't get screwed and chopped. It's slowed down doubled up music. Perhaps I am not privvy to the correct intoxicants to "get it".

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
That article seemed pretty fair given what I imagine the author has been exposed to.

Grime isn't even a nationwide phenomenon in the UK yet, so it getting pushed in the States amuses me. Glad some people are feeling it though. Even if it is perhaps somewhat influenced by trying to look current :)

cooper

believekevin said:
Has anyone hacked a t12 to get > +/-8% pitch?

http://music.hyperreal.org/dj/sl1200.html#5.1

yeah, it's really not very hard to do. actually, though, the pitch down is so steep on screwed tapes that i've always thought they were recorded at normal speed from turntables with chops and scratches and then had the whole business slowed down - in particular, it's hard to get nice clean chops that are right on the beat when you go so slow.

zhao

there are no accidents
anyone hear the "9th stretched" project? this Icelandic (I think) sound artist stretched Beethoven's 9th into 24 hours using special software so the tonalities stayed pretty much close to the original, just super ssssslllllloooooowwwwwww.... awesome.