Moritz von Oswald - an appreciation - 'It's in the hiss'.

Buick6

too punk to drunk
The most mysterious genius on the mod-rock landscape IMHO.

Who is he? I understand he played percussion with indie-popper 'the Associates' - correct?

Did he 'invent' the filtered/ heroin house sound or was it Juan Atkins?

The Rhythm and Sound stuff kickstarted the reggae/dub revival me tinks. After trip-hop, shoegazer and techno and whatever, it still lingers on. sure Burial Mix/Basic channel is the new 'On-U' sound, but that's a mighty call. 'On-U' were a totally under-rated label in context of the 80s. Their influecne is all over the new New York DFA thingy-scene. Same ways the Basic channel/burial mix has become somewhat of a standard in the post-house sound/glitch/gulch/nose picker/Intel house whatever sound.

Even so the source is still the best and purist.

And for a cinematic-rockist like myself, purity is a noble thing, as long as there's sublte variation on a riff.

Moritz always seem to do it. Even if the latest R&S comp sound like different singers chanting over the same track. Deeper listening hears that each track is ever so slightly different - whether its a slight Wurlitzer wucka or a diffracted guitar wikka, it is there, and it gives me tingles up da bassline-spine.

The beauty of the Moritz work is you can HEAR the construction and delicate placement of sound, just like a blues or soul or reggae rekkid or Eno or mid-period Sonic Youth rec.

That purity is a rare thing in todays electro climate, where charlatans puss-out over-produced dense computer mashmushes that lack subtley, timbre, reality.

Oswalds minimal layers are like a Tarkovsky film, elemental in their technique, natural in their slow progression and complex in the minutae.

and like Studio One or Robert Johnson or even the JAMC - its in the hiss.

turtles

in the sea
hey big up mark ernestus as well man. can't let moritz get all the credit.

that said, m7 is one of the greatest records of all time. i could listen to that (especially the b-side) for goddamn ever.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
So is Maurizio just Moritz?

I thought Maurizio was a duo, same as Basic Channel, Rhythm & Sound, Main Street, et al.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Sorry, I should just throw in a "hell yeah".

I was pretty late off the mark on getting into the Basic Channel stuff, having really never been a big fan of techno. (Do I dare say that on here?) Just seemed like it functioned the same way as all other techno / house, except with some different production takes. But my appreciation's grown over the years. All that fizzy hissy mush mixed with the absolutely expansive take on bass and dub has really inspired me. So much more so than the "digi-dub" stuff of the 90s.

About On-U Sound and contemporary hip shit, I got the impression the influence was coming up indirectly via Trevor Jackson's Output label and his Playgroup stuff, rather than directly. Don't have any justification for that remark, but that's my impression, if you're interested. :|

Buick6

too punk to drunk
bipedaldave said:
hey big up mark ernestus as well man. can't let moritz get all the credit.

that said, m7 is one of the greatest records of all time. i could listen to that (especially the b-side) for goddamn ever.

Not sure if Ernestus is involved with the Burial Mix/R&S stuff, to be honest - more mysteriousness. I find Pole to be way too abstracted and non-rockist, it's in that mish-mash 'nothing music' league that is 95% of that 'What is music' free-jazz noise nonsense IMHO.

Isn't M7 the track he did with Atkins?

The feeling I get wish the Oswald cannon is likened to what Grandmaster Flash said abouht Kraftwerk 'you can listen to this music while you do the dishes, take a shower, get laid, put out the trash .'..In other words it's just fits into your daily life, and you can dip in and out at will and find complexity.

That's rare and quite brilliant really, once of the fantastic things about the Krautrock.

SIZZLE

gasoline for haters
Mane, definitely have to give all necessary respect to Rhythm & Sound... They are pure focused sound chi force in it's best form. Too me they make some of the only listenable contemporary 'dub'. re: questions I'm pretty sure that R&S/Burial Mix is the two of them.

owen

according to the wire 'interview' a couple of years ago r&s is both of them....

anyway my fave is the main street stuff- the round1 to round5 comp is awesome, perky gay house to grimy, disconsolate noise-dub in five records

i like the tarkovsky comparison upthread, very apposite- all that silt and the dirt, the drift, the palimpset-like sound....

turtles

in the sea
yeah, AFAIK everything has been collaborative between the two of them except for the maurizio records, which were strictly just moritz. Of course, who knows for sure, as they aren't exactly forthcoming with info about themselves. But both discogs and allmusic agree with me.

Probably my favorite "confused parent" comment came from my mom overhearing a maurizio track (may have been m7): "that's some weird music, Dave, it sounds like it's...missing something." Ha! About sums it up, i think.

Rhythm & Sound are also terrific...i think more love needs to be sent to their self-titled release (the primarily non-vocal one). "Smile" in particular is one of my all time favs.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
It's in his hiss (that's where it is - oh yeah)

bipedaldave said:
Rhythm & Sound are also terrific...i think more love needs to be sent to their self-titled release (the primarily non-vocal one). "Smile" in particular is one of my all time favs.

Ironically being the only track with vocals on that collection, if I remember rightly? :) But yeah, that's my favourite collection of their tracks and the only one of their albums I've ended up buying. Most diverse release. I love the beatless raspy tracks, in the context of the other sounds. That huge beatless mix of 'Roll Off'... crikey.

Also, if you want to talk about hiss, that album's got a massive range of textures going on throughout.

With regards to their influence, it seems like a lot of people picked up the cleaner sounds of some of the Chain Reaction artists. I hear a lot more dubtech stuff that sounds like eg. Various Artists than it does like Maurizio. So the influence is felt far and wide, but the noisiness is the aspect which has generally fallen by the way side. Which I think is a real pity, because it messes with my mind in a way that the shinier material doesn't.

Largely I'm guessing that really comes down to production methods. Try and make what they're doing entirely inside a DAW like Logic or FruityLoops and you're going to have a lot of trouble stumbling upon the right kind of noise.

turtles

in the sea
michael said:
Ironically being the only track with vocals on that collection, if I remember rightly? :)
hoho, quite true, but it's structured in the same way as all the other non-vocal tracks (ie, longer and more repetitive/minimal and with a much more pronounced misty-cool dark vibe), which is I think why i love it so much. i wish they'd do some more of those types of tracks, but they seem pretty focused on the more song-based stuff right now (not that they aren't also excellent).

Largely I'm guessing that really comes down to production methods. Try and make what they're doing entirely inside a DAW like Logic or FruityLoops and you're going to have a lot of trouble stumbling upon the right kind of noise.
Yeah if i remember right in that wire interview mentioned above they said something about how they never intentionally put in all the static and fuzz into their tracks, it's just a natural biproduct of all the old gear that they use.

nonseq

Moritz engineered 5 tracks on Juan Atkins' Model 500 'Deep Space' album. You can clearly hear his musical influence. Recommended.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
bipedaldave said:
Yeah if i remember right in that wire interview mentioned above they said something about how they never intentionally put in all the static and fuzz into their tracks, it's just a natural biproduct of all the old gear that they use.
Part of the joy of it, I think. Like what someone was saying in the Ariel Pink gig thread about how he's effortlessly strange, rather than trying to be. Or ignoring the intention, just the fact that the noise really permeates the recording makes it sound better anyway.

I've tried mucking about with adding layers and layers of static and granulated run out groove and so on to a mix but it's hard to make it not sound like its own element sitting on top of the mix. Given that's exactly what it is and all, that should be no surprise. ;)

Buick6

too punk to drunk
owen said:
according to the wire 'interview' a couple of years ago r&s is both of them....

anyway my fave is the main street stuff- the round1 to round5 comp is awesome, perky gay house to grimy, disconsolate noise-dub in five records

i like the tarkovsky comparison upthread, very apposite- all that silt and the dirt, the drift, the palimpset-like sound....

Nice call, but the Maurizio stuff sexes me up every time - arr bugger it, I like it all except for the ...whats the word where you can't feel pleasure(?) - Chain Reaction stuff.

The Round 1 to 5 comp is one of the most fearless and absolutely boundary breaking musical deconstructions of ever I reckon. The gay-house stuff is totally respectful of its roots and then it just breaks down and decomposes into the greatest dubded-out-knackered come-down thats ever been recorded this side of a SWANS slash yr wrists and testicles blah. :eek:

Last edited:

AshRa

nonseq said:
Moritz engineered 5 tracks on Juan Atkins' Model 500 'Deep Space' album. You can clearly hear his musical influence. Recommended.

Didn't they do that Sonic Sunset LP together too? Sure sounds like it! My favourite though is the Starlight 12" on Metroplex - ahhhhhh!

3underscore

Buick6 said:
Even if the latest R&S comp sound like different singers chanting over the same track. Deeper listening hears that each track is ever so slightly different - whether its a slight Wurlitzer wucka or a diffracted guitar wikka, it is there, and it gives me tingles up da bassline-spine.

The "See Mi yah" boxed set is four different rhythm tracks, but - as you say - they are all versions of the same base rhythm. That was the whole essence of the project. Have long been an addict to the Basic Channel, Maurizio (happily all on the 10th anniversary format as well!) and Burial Mix things. Main Street I need to complete still.

Add to that the D&M, Wakies importing, the whole Hardwax thing, and now ableton. These guys have given a huge amount.

3underscore

Robert Henke, developer of ableton, was Monolake in all the Basic Channel / Chain Reaction series (Cyan, megenta etc.). It also explains why the whole "Scion arrange and process Basic Channel" thing happened.

Buick6

too punk to drunk
3underscore said:
Robert Henke, developer of ableton, was Monolake in all the Basic Channel / Chain Reaction series (Cyan, megenta etc.). It also explains why the whole "Scion arrange and process Basic Channel" thing happened.

I know Monolake, but I'm neither here nor there with them - not rockist enough.

Re: Ableton - Innaresting...please xplain...is this music software? Is it designed to make fractally aware body-without-organ music too? (sorta funny since the latest R&S uses a Wurlitzer on it!!)

Wuz gonna say, I'm curious to know the studio methods MvO uses. Is he a Laptop Nerd or goes for a proper studio envoronment. Me thinks MvO is the most important sonic architect since, ummm... Brian Eno!

Last edited: