Cary Grant Comic

Woebot

This is a comic I did I while ago and it was a victem of my fuckwit hosting company who deleted the entire Hollow Earth site a little while ago.

Anyway, I've uploaded it again for your reading pleasure.

How do I feel about it now? Hmm. Not so mad about it actually. There's alot of work in there but

i) I rushed the graphics. Was still on this "divine energy" tip with my drawing, which had sporadically fantastic results. I think the visuals would be a bit more sculpted this time.

ii) The story is a wee bit sixth form. I was basically trying to stuff alot of (totally original to me) ideas into whatever frame I could.

If anyone compares it to Paul Auster (who I only read after I'd done it) or Garisson Keilor (who I've NEVER read) I'll get very fu**ing moody.

jenks

thread death
thanks for this woebot, as somone who joined this forum without quite knowing what it would be i had never come across yr stuff before.

it's really rather blown me away. :D

john eden

male pale and stale
WOEBOT said:
yeah, well im working on that at the moment.

Excellent!

I love "Cary Grant" as well. Was bowled over when I read it the first time, looking forward to checking it again now.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Curious - from the little I've read on the board I saw little biographical details sneaking in.. obviously the record collector thing, but also being a former heavy weed smoker?

Is the title / cover just a reference to Kaplan, the imaginary figure at the centre of 'North by Northwest'?

Woebot

eden said:
(paraphrase)pleased im busy

its not a comic this time its a movie, or a series of movies. and it could take a very long time :( but i'm well stuck in there.

michael said:
Curious - from the little I've read on the board I saw little biographical details sneaking in.. obviously the record collector thing, but also being a former heavy weed smoker?

;)

michael said:
Is the title / cover just a reference to Kaplan, the imaginary figure at the centre of 'North by Northwest'?

yeah thats it. i have a pet theory that that movie is the result of hitchcock and grant's deep explorations into LSD and the afterlife. you know those stories about cary grant about how he experienced his own birth on acid? transmigration of the soul and all that. nbnw and vertigo.

k-punk attributed alot of the narrative in it to hyperstition, which again i only stumbled over later. i used to use the term "fiction-reality" which i liked to think asserted the reality of fiction. my own favourite cheesy example is "invasion by monsters from another dimension" their preponderance in fiction meaning they are indeed, quite unmetaphorically seeping into our strata. no REALLY! :) REALLY!

hyperstition i like but i've always found it too technical, speaking personally, i feel it stops short at the point where things in fact become interesting, fails to grasp its own importance maybe. i dont know if any of that lot ever descended completely into the maelstrom of schizophrenia. im sure mark'll pull me up on this (and he's been to his own places!), but i do think theres a difference between plotting the paths to different universes and actually being invaded by spirits.

scary bizniss innit.