PDA

View Full Version : songs you don't want to wake up in the middle of the night to

seahorsegenius
11-11-2004, 04:57 PM
suggestions?

who0o0o......

john eden
11-11-2004, 05:26 PM
anything off "Nature Unveiled" or "Dogs Blood Rising" by Current 93.

But don't get Matt started on all that again. ;)

xero
11-11-2004, 05:40 PM
the black mass by white noise

cortempond
11-11-2004, 05:48 PM
Anything by Lustmord or Diamanda Galas would do the trick. Boo spooky.

Rambler
11-11-2004, 08:01 PM
Anything with a strong riff or chorus. You end up singing it until 6am.

rob_giri
11-11-2004, 10:17 PM
Shall we just say any Noise? True that some Merzbow, his later, digital, 'whiter' stuff can be massaging, as can Metal Machine Music. I guess any 'dynamic' Noise would not be a nice wake-up call.

And of course usually when questions like 'is there scary music?' comes up, the first stop-off point is usually the Coil/C'93/NWW axis. So this question should be:

songs that aren't british industrial that you don't want to wake up in the middle of the night to

jed_
11-11-2004, 10:18 PM
"Automatic Writing" by Robert Ashley.

scissors
11-11-2004, 10:47 PM
id think that w/ the industrial/darkambientnoise circles you of course *would* want to hear this music in the middle of the night. since that's what you're supposed to do and stuff, that's the effect (though waking up in the middle of the night to anything is unpleasant enough i suppose).

i once woke up to a half-finished song i was working on which i had set on a loop before dozing off and was greeted with an immediate barrage of insecurities and self-criticisms.

rob_giri
11-11-2004, 10:51 PM
Well, Coil's 'Music to Play in the Dark'??!! I guess that could mean waking up to it after all! But there is a big different to dark ambient and industrial. Like i'd dig waking up to some low bass rumblings.

I once made a shimmering drone track and fell asleep next to it and saw my spirit manifested as a great Wolf on a high plain in the dream. Cool ;)

martin
11-11-2004, 11:51 PM
Try Toto or Midnight Oil, the most agonising torture an insomniac could have at 3.45am

martin
12-11-2004, 12:05 AM
Incidentally, has anyone here ever woken up in the middle of a nightmare to 'You've Gotta Jive' by The Quads? It's a really strange albeit uplifting experience

Hadean
12-11-2004, 05:18 AM
Klaus Schulze - "Bayreuth Return" ...the ending!

nick.K
12-11-2004, 05:40 AM
thee butthole surfers has been known to bump in the night

puretokyo
12-11-2004, 06:43 AM
Incidental music and sound effects from Ju-On: The Grudge.

I'd sh!t myself.

DigitalDjigit
12-11-2004, 04:15 PM
What's with the scary/noise stuff? I woudln't want to be woken up by anything in the middle of the night, f*** that, I need my sleep.

Rambler
12-11-2004, 04:17 PM
Damn straight.

matt ob
12-11-2004, 04:29 PM
"Atmosphere" by Russ Abbott

hamarplazt
12-11-2004, 07:39 PM
Klaus Schulze - "Bayreuth Return" ...the ending!

Klaus Schulze: 'Sebastian im Traum'... some incredibly creepy effects on that one.

cortempond
12-11-2004, 08:06 PM
What's the worst music you would want to submit someone to? Merzbow, NWW, TG and PTV are too easy to choose.

Good start with the Toto and Midnight Oil. May I add most radio-friendly "rock" made during the late '70's and '80's -- Night Ranger (yeah I know Boogie Nights, great, thanks PT Anderson for dragging Sister Christian back from the mists of oblivion to foist it on a public who like it for its "ironic" post-modern context), Journey, Styx, REO Speedwagon, Rush, etc., ad nauseum.

Try Toto or Midnight Oil, the most agonising torture an insomniac could have at 3.45am

originaldrum
13-11-2004, 11:54 PM
anything by v/vm

mms
14-11-2004, 11:55 AM
Well, Coil's 'Music to Play in the Dark'??!! I guess that could mean waking up to it after all! But there is a big different to dark ambient and industrial. Like i'd dig waking up to some low bass rumblings.

I once made a shimmering drone track and fell asleep next to it and saw my spirit manifested as a great Wolf on a high plain in the dream. Cool ;)

i used to have a habit of going to sleep to stuff like earth 3 by earth and thomas koners cold bassy gong drones stuff.
i've woken up after accidentally leaving a thomas koner cd on repeat and felt seriously odd, as i couldnt recognise it and wondered what the hell it was.

I used to try and bug my sister out when i was a kid by leaving a detuned long wave radio in her room feeding back before she woke up... a cruel trick.