Plasticman interview

Red Rooster

Kinda felt sorry for the guy when I read this....

Finally, I guess, a really obvious question: iff you could play any event or anywhere, where would it be?

I know it sounds really boring but I would love to play at Sidewinder in the UK. It’s the pinnacle of all the events in the uk garage industry whether u play grime or vocal garage. I haven’t had the chance to play there yet but I would love to play there – I’ve seen Cha rip up the event as a punter, I’d like to see and feel that energy rush playing the tune myself on the decks there!

Seems a bit like he's out of the loop in the uk's grime scene.

mms

sometimes
Trollbass said:
ahh but then not a very original name :p

t.

this arguement goes on and on but i don't think he knew of the existence of another muscial plastikman, this plasticman is a guy who as he confesses only listens to garage, grime , dubstep etc wouldn't necessarily know of an obscure niche musical act who was at his most popular when he was in his early teens.

Trollbass

mms said:
wouldn't necessarily know of an obscure niche musical act who was at his most popular when he was in his early teens.

hehe, ok i give you that i may not be a spring chicken, but if i am 30 then music must really be very unforgiving and short-termist :)

I accept that the Plastikman i mention dates back a while. though i think he was pretty well known at the time. Not what i would call obscure. The lsd tab Cd cover was very noticable.

Anyway I just thought i would mention the name thing, but clearly I wasn't the first to do so.

T.

Dubquixote

Submariner
mms said:
this arguement goes on and on but i don't think he knew of the existence of another muscial plastikman, this plasticman is a guy who as he confesses only listens to garage, grime , dubstep etc wouldn't necessarily know of an obscure niche musical act who was at his most popular when he was in his early teens.

He says as much in the interview he did a/ Hyperdub a couple years ago...

http://www.hyperdub.com/softwar/plastic.cfm

Dubquixote

Submariner
Steve Goodman: What about the Plastikman issue? There was several journalists making an issue out of the fact that you almost shared your name with techno producer, Richie Hawtin. So they were forcing some connection between the musics, even though you had never heard of him previously.

Plasticman: Yeah. That is causing slight problems. I am very wary now that I’ve found out about him.

SG: Its an old comic character as well. I don’t know if he got hassle for that, and so changed his spelling to use a K. You could always change it to a Q.

Plasticman: Yeah. . .that’s what I’ve done on that cd I’ve just given you. . .look.

SG: . . .Plastique?

Plasticman: Yeah. . .I’m just testing the water on that one. I was speaking to John at Big Apple about that, cos they are big techno heads. I asked him if anything had come up about it on the scene and he said not yet. I don’t want to change my name right now. I’m just starting to break. The scene is still fresh and new, and in 5 years time I want people to be able to look back and see that I was doing my thing from the start.”

SG: . . .but you’ll probably have about 6 names by then.

Plasticman: yeah. . .but I’m a good talker, so if anything does come, hopefully we can deal with it, and sort something out. But as I said, it wouldn’t be a problem for me to change it to a Q or something like that.

SG: How did you find out about the name issue.

Plasticman: Through John at Big Apple. I started writing reviews for Rewind mag. And they asked me what I wanted to review as? As a Dj? I was like, ‘not really. I’d rather keep it anonymous. Just call it Plasticman cos I’d be reviewing vinyl and that kind of fits.’ And then I started making the tunes and that, and joined a few web forums using the name. And then I put those tunes up that I told you about. So it just stuck from there. So had that tune not done anything, and I’d stopped doing rewind, I wouldn’t be called Plasticman now. You know what I mean. It’s all chance. I certainly don’t want it to go to court or anything like that. There is certainly not enough money involved in it.

nonseq

Plasticman not knowing Plastikman vs LCD Soundsystem knowing the entire history of popmusic. Interesting vs boring. We need more artists who didn't already download the entire dance music corpus. It seems to blind them, updating the old seems more logical than exploring new possibilities. A bit like in classical music, perhaps.

nonseq

I guess someone must have told him by now. Plasticman got quite a bit of exposure with the Grime compilation and his remix of Rocker, probably the biggest techno hit of the past couple of years. Basically, I think if he wanted to sue, he would have done it by now.