dancing

owen

(provoked by a recent night out in brighton where i was a little shocked to find that some of my friends *didn't dance*)

it's the big unspoken, this, it almost got brought up on the pop music thread but not quite- oddly, as we all to a greater or lesser extent like/obsess over 'dance' music-
do you think about it when you're doing it?
do you have specific things you do, and did you ever change it when dancing to different music?
or do you just not do it at all and leer at the bar smoking tabs?

martin

----
Here are the rules I've picked up

1) Dance with your knees, not your hips
2) Always dance opposite a girl (believe me, dancing on your own, as a bloke, looks ten times worse)
3) Dance to the bass, not the breakbeats
4) If that all fails...kick a nun's head in!

martin

----
originaldrum said:
kinda like john travolta in grease?

Well I got dragged along to a few salsa classes in Whitechapel last year (don't ask) and that's what some woman told me. She said I was jerking around too much like a spastic when I did it with my hips - sadly, a youth spent listening to punk means I only knew how to pogo (and I'm not very good at that either). So I tried this out in a commercial club one night when "Last Night a DJ Saved My Life" came on - and guess what, some girl came over and started dancing opposite me! It obviously works. Sadly, the DJ then stuck on 'Sex Bomb' by the over-rated Welsh singer Tom Jones, and I had to go to the bar.

gumdrops

i cant fucking dance, but i love dance music, or music that makes me want to dance. if that makes sense. its all about music that makes me desperate to go onto the floor before my senses kick in and i stop myself. if a song does that, i know its a winner. plus, i used to DJ so i like to think i know what makes people dance.

borderpolice

martin said:
Dance with your knees, not your hips

That would probably also depend on the genre of dance and your gender. Hips are important for streetdance, just consider Justin Timberlake. But strong hip movements generally make dance moves feminine -- except in ballet, where hip movements are a no-no -- so keep it subtle if you are male. Body isolation is generally key to smooth dancing. if your body does one general movement only it looks hopeless.

zhao

there are no accidents
martin said:
Well I got dragged along to a few salsa classes in Whitechapel last year (don't ask)

me and my girlfriend are taking some Salsa classes this summer and it was MY idea. I've seen how much fun people have with that and the guys twirling the girls around and I've always been like "fuck I want to do that!"

owen

i don't think i've ever gone to a club and not danced- (including at 'la parisienne' in folkestone, and what got me off my seat of disgust was 'miami' by will smith) but i really don't think much about what i'm doing....lots of feet movement, not much else. according to my brother i look like 'elvis having an epileptic fit', not sure if that's a compliment or not
twirling people around is great fun

Diaz

dancing is funny. I am a complete and total spaz: i try to poplock, but i have poorly articulated shoulder muscles and no hip control, so its like my body stutters in an embarrasing, not-smooth manner. i try to groove but i lose my balance and wobble a lot. i try to goth-shimmy but i have short arms so i look like i'm drowning (actually drowning, not metaphorically drowning). I'm told I have "the BEST fist-pumping" in all of l.a., though, which is really sweet. part of the fun of listening to music i don't know is learning how to dance to it.

a beautiful girl once taught me how to cumbia.

and as much as i'd like to dance only because i love it, without worrying or even thinking about what I look like, I'm always wondering just how not-on-time I am. Finally I seem to moved it in a helpful direction, since I just use it to remember what the general flow of the song is and not just the rhythmic elements that i'm rocking out to at the moment.

AshRa

I never know how to dance to rock music - even if it's a song I like, I can never really think of any moves to go with it apart from air guitar.

gumdrops

i just pogo and generally jump up and down at rock gigs. at rock clubs (havent been to one since being at 6th form), not sure. two friends of mine used to actually just strum air guitar to indie anthems and twirl around a lot. i think girls used to sway to it.

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
If i really want to dance I close my eyes. Then I can concetrate on the music and stop thinking about what others think. I am not much good...a lot of going up and down with my knees and left/right with my shoulders.

mms

sometimes
jed_ said:
i'm a good dancer and i love dancing! seriously, i think it's my one talent in life! :p

i used to be good at dancing and girls actually thought i was cool because of my dancing.
it's a young mans game though.
i broke out into a bit of uprocking/bodypopping on holiday when i was a bit wasted and people just thought i was strange, which come to think of it i was.