My PC vs. the internet

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Meh. I've got this annoying thing going on with my PC and I can't quite locate when or why it started happening. I know some shit about computers, I even used to do tech support, but I don't know what's going on.

The first time I go to access a domain name I get "host not found" type errors. I try again and the host is found and the connection is made.

This is the case via HTTP, POP3, FTP... Even RTSP or whatever protocol gets used for streaming audio sometimes.

I've tested this is a problem with two different web browsers, two different email clients, an FTP client, a download manager and two different media players.

My wife's laptop works fine on the same internet connection, so it's not an issue with our ISP.

It's also not 100% consistent. For example, I have 4 email accounts set up in Thunderbird, and when I check my email 3 out of 4 host addresses work fine first time and one never works the first time I open the application, but every time after that.

I'm running Windows 2000.

I'm thinking it's most certainly a DNS issue, but don't know where to look.

O

Omaar

that is very weird. you have broadband eh?

If I had that problem I would first check for viruses and trojans and then maybe check things like the default gateway, dns settings etc in network connections in the control panel, and then I'd probably give up and rebuild from scratch. are there any error logs that your ftp clients etc create - i guess those might help.

I suggest that perhaps your computer is feeling antisocial and does not feel like talking to other computers on a network. I have just permanently terminated my internet connection and I'm sure my computer now feels isolated and alone. I always feel terribly anxious when my computer is sick. Soon I will erase all the data and pass on the box to someone else. It feels like part of me is dying.

That doesn't really help does it.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Yeah, have broadband and in fact hacked my modem to use it as a router, so the connection to the ISP doesn't even happen on my computer. For future reference, THAT'S HOW FUCKING TOUGH I AM! :D

The computer sits in the same room as a laptop, so hopefully it feels social enough. LIkewise, my wife burns incense pretty regularly around the place. ;)

Anyway, I remembered from helpdesking that the connection settings in Internet Explorer can cause problems even if you don't use it as your browsers. Went in there and ticked something like "Automatically detect settings" and it's now working well.

Still dunno why it ever changed tho!?

Melchior

Taking History Too Far
michael said:
Still dunno why it ever changed tho!?

Yes, yes, you're very tough. The fact that it changed by itself certainly does suggest spyware or a trojan to me as well.