Dubstep Party in Brooklyn this Saturday - DJ Joe Nice

Dubquixote

Submariner
All those in the New York area should come out for a rare chance to hear Mr. Joe Nice reppin dubstep music properly in Brooklyn. It's at a great new spot in Fort Greene called Sputnik that has cheap drinks, a great space, and smoker-friendly "green room" in the back. Admission is free.

Come support the sound! Or check it out if you don't know what it's all about....

fist_72_sm.gif

More info here

Canada J Soup

Monkey Man
Will definitely be checking this out. Have been loving Mr. Nice's radio sets so a chance to hear him play out is welcome. Anyone know what the PA is like at this space?

kingofcars

sputnik is on my block. it's a nice bar, very cold war-chic. decent food, ok drink prices...
the pa is pretty good, tho the music actually tends to be a little too loud there..

i'll try to check this out, bring a few kids...

Dubquixote

Submariner
Moving this to the top. DUB WAR tomorrow night (Saturday June 25) in Brooklyn, all about dubstep music...

Come introduce yourself. Gonna be big!

See ya there

joenice

Miriam Gonzalez lover....
big big big night. there's definitely gonna be another one.

thanks to Dave Q for organizing this event. shouts to JohnAsk for being a trooper and making the trip with me.

more details on this later.
Shouts out to:
Dominic
Christian
Eleanor - wow !
Heidi - wow...again !

dominic

Beast of Burden
i thought it was a pretty cool event

got to meet the famed demographer and squat party vet pearsall

spoke briefly w/ dave q and joe nice

and i was very impressed with the actual space, the basement of bar sputnik -- despite living on bedford b/w myrtle and willoughby for a 4-month stretch last year, it's the first time i ever went to sputnik -- cool furniture, excellent layout, aesthetically interesting

this was the perfect space and vibe for the music -- very relaxed and chill crowd, not a large crowd but diverse in terms of age and race

hopefully dave can make this into a weekly or bi-weekly event

Dubquixote

Submariner
Yeah man I was really pleased with the way this went down. We'll definitely be doing it again and stepping it up a notch when we do.

The club was really happy with the music, crowd, vibe, etc. and will be throwing their weight behind the promotion next time around now that they know what we're all about and what dubstep is. They were really feeling it.

Big up Joe for coming up and delivering an absolutely massive set! Can't wait to see those pics ;)

Also good to meet everyone who came out for this, including Pearsall and Dominic from Dissensus.

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
I thought it was pretty dope. I'm not 100% on dubstep, but it was well suited to the venue, which was a nice and intimate space, and the crowd, which was nicely mixed racially and age-wise.

Nice to meet you Dominic, sorry for waffling on as I did.

Hello to Joe Nice and Dave Dubquixote.

Canada J Soup

Monkey Man
I was only there for an hour or so, but the key elements for a promising ongoing night definitely seemed to be in place. Good crowd, great space, excellent music. Didn't meet any Dissensus folks (although I wasn't going around asking) but got to say a quick hello to Joe Nice. Sputnik was a bit further out than I'd thought (I'd gotten it into my head that it was much closer to the Flatbush end of DeKalb), but it's quite a find of a venue. About the only thing it lacks is a bit more low end on the PA...was dying for some murderous bass.

Cheers to all involved in putting this on and thanks for the sounds Joe. Hoping to see a few more nights like this as the summer goes on!

Last edited:

dominic

Beast of Burden
Pearsall said:
sorry for waffling on as I did

was a pleasure to talk with you

(especially liked comparing notes about dissensus)

(and thanks for letting me bum the cigs, i'm fairly sociopathic that way)

Canada J Soup said:
About the only thing it lacks is a bit more low end on the PA...was dying for some murderous bass.

yeah -- that's an issue given the nature of the music

but sometimes you gotta take the bad if you want the good

if dave were to find a space w/ a better soundsystem, he likely wouldn't be able to match the aesthetic or feel of the sputnik basement