mapping riddims

ripley

wayneandwax

boston jerk
can't remember if this has already been posted up here:
http://jessekriss.com/projects/samplinghistory/

but it's on a similar wavelength, illustrating musical relationships using internet-aggregated data (in this case hip-hop and the-breaks.com, as opposed to reggae and reggae-riddims.com).

it'll be great to bring these together someday, and make it a wiki so as to permit expansion, correction, and innovation.

dominic

Beast of Burden
errrr, is it just me or is the map virtually impossible to read?

i.e., i think i'd have to see a much larger image of the map to comprehend what this is even supposed to be about

Clubberlang

If you read the post (where he explains the data and basically what it indicates) the map makes sense. But yeah if I was just looking at fresh without the explanation it would be totally flummoxing.

wayneandwax

boston jerk
yeah, right now it's more suggestive than deeply descriptive. the data's all in there, but it's a bit dense. if you look at the picture full size, you can at least see the way that "real rock" and "stalag" break off from the pack of the other top 20 versioned rhythms.

i've seen some other maps pace is working on that are better labelled. i'm sure there will be some more stuff coming out along those lines. i think this simply gestures to the possibilities and considers analysis at a pretty macro level.

pace

LOVE
More maps coming soon

Hi all,
Thanks for checking this out. I hear all the comments about things being hard to read and interpret. Its a problem for sure. I'll be running some more maps as soon as I get some rest and will post them on a more permanent page at LOVE . Aside from being pretty (methinks), one value of all this is identifying big patterns so you can ask what they mean to the people involved.
peace