final kick in the teeth for straight edge

daren

Their use of straight edge is more subversive it seems with the "XXX" used in one of their tour posters on the Nike site. It probably isn't as overt as it could be seeing that recently "straight edge" was classified as a gang in a US state. But they definitely do use that Minor Threat cover,

Melchior

Taking History Too Far
Regardless, a lot of sxe kids probably think that this is kind of cool. They like sneakers after all.

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
I find this shit hilarious. All these massive lumbering corporations trying to portray themselves as rebels and shit. There must be a new generation of guys at the ad agencies who are driving this stuff.

For anyone in the US, did you see the Coca-Cola ad recently where it's these punk rock guys driving across the country being all 'crazy' and shit? I mean wtf? Coke is not rebellious, it is just there, part of the culture.

It's as bad as Fox News assholes mouthing off about 'the mainstream media' like they are underground rebels engaged in samizdat...you fuckers work for Rupert Murdoch: you are the mainstream media!

soundslike1981

Do straight edgers wear leather now?

Straight edge is only one step above PETA in giving liberals/vegans a bad name. So I do think this is pretty funny. It's sort of like a corporation coopting/subverting the slightly obtuse Adbusters (or maybe Mad Magazine) approach to corporate satire.

soundslike1981

Melchior said:
Well, lots of straight edgers eat meat. And lots of vegetarians wear leather.

I thought veganism was one of the holy tenets of straightedge, along with no alcohol, no drugs, no wanton sex, and being an asshole and beating kids up for smoking ; )

daren

Melchior said:
Regardless, a lot of sxe kids probably think that this is kind of cool. They like sneakers after all.

Most of them prefer New Balances last time I checked.

Melchior

Taking History Too Far
soundslike1981 said:
I thought veganism was one of the holy tenets of straightedge, along with no alcohol, no drugs, no wanton sex, and being an asshole and beating kids up for smoking ; )

No. Vegetarianism isn't even necessarily a part of sxe.

I've never even seen a straight edge kid beat anyone up for smoking, but even smokers should consider hitting people who try to dance while smoking. That shit's dangerous!