Iranian Films

zhao

there are no accidents
I've heard that Iran is where film makers are properly carrying the torch of Russian mystic film tradition. does anyone know more about Iranian Directors and films? what in your opinion is unique about them? why do you think such amazing shit is being done in such a repressive and sensored environment? (as opposed to the West, where you can do anything you want and we just end up with a bunch of BULLSHIT) What are some films a Tarkovsky freak HAS to see?

O

Omaar

I think people recommended some stuff on this thread:

this thread

on tarkovsky that is. regarding Iran, i just read this article in which Scott Ritter states that the US war on Iran has already begun:

Link to article

Last edited:

Buick6

too punk to drunk
Someone who is claiming the the Iranina films are carrying the Tarkovskyist baton really know jack-shit about cinema, and is probably using some totally misinformed Marxist alterna-anti-Hollywood tract that has nothing to do with the artistic fact.

I would say the Iranians are basically running with the Nouvelle Vauge torch more than anything, made even more apparent that the French have long supported Iran during the years of the Shah and after the Lunatic Islamic revolution. Kiorastami's Godard influence becomes more apparent in each film he makes, it becomes beyond a joke, and pretty much 'outs' and deflates the whole hoo-haa relating the the Iranian cinemah-cannon

I would say the Turkish are chewing on the 'tarkovsky' influence more than anyone, check out Nuri Bilge Ceylan's sublime 'Uzak' for point-in-fact. Also the Russians are pomo'ing the Tarkovsky shtick in the recent Russian film 'the return' - which looks like a mirror of TK's 'the mirror'.

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
hmmm... interesting. I got some names of directors from the friend who made the "misinformed Marxist alterna-anto-Hollywood" claim and guess I'll just have to see them and decide for myself.

Nuri Bilge Ceylan I'll have to look into as well. thanks for the recommendation