Glastonbury Faecestival?

Yoghurt Sothoth

Lord of the files
AH, SWEET CESSPIT! IT GLADDENS ME GREATLY THAT PROCEEDINGS HATH BEEN CONSUMED BY SUCH A WEALTH OF STILL-WARM EFFLUENT AND TURDISTRY THIS YEAR! AND MY MINIONS, OH, HOW THEY STRAIN AT THEIR FILTHY LEASHES! THE PROSPECT OF GULPING DOWN SUCH VOLUMINOUS MIASMA IS ALMOST TOO MUCH TO BEAR!

glastonbury_2005_2.jpg

holy s*** - someone could have drowned man...

im glad I didn't go.....

4 days of total sun in ENGLAND, then glastonbury comes and it rains...no POURS lol. What's the odds?

Badmarsh

So I watched Fatboy Slim djing at Glasto yesterday on TV....

1. What is the appeal with this dj?
2. He can't mix to save his life...its all cut the bassline, eq out the mids and bring next tune in.
3. He spends more time prancing around like a battio....lets each tune play at least for 6 minutes - then does the above and prances even harder - his antics on stage make him look like a fool.
4. the only good thing about him was his stage setup, which was truly awesome.

Anyone else see my man? What do you all think?

Yoghurt Sothoth

Lord of the files
Badmarsh said:

2. He can't mix to save his life...its all cut the bassline, eq out the mids and bring next tune in.
3. He spends more time prancing around like a battio....lets each tune play at least for 6 minutes - then does the above and prances even harder - his antics on stage make him look like a fool.

THAT ASIDE, THIS YEAR PLEASES ME. BROWN STRIPES, PARTICULARLY ROCKING.

jenks

thread death
Badmarsh said:

saw him and couldn't believe how dull his set was...and how much the crowd seemed to be loving it/him.
generally, though is this the dullest glasto presentation on tv ever? i keep hoping there will be sometning on there worth watching - but no, just more self-regarding presenters - that edith woman makes me hanker for the terrahawk jo wiley!

hint

party record with a siren
Badmarsh said:

well.... he's sold a shedload of records + is pretty famous as a "character". he gets asked to play glastonbury - I suppose his only options are A) say "yes", play some records, have a laugh and get paid or B) say no. not much scope for an intricate live performance really.

I agree that it seemed a bit dumb not only having something like that on an open air stage but also giving it extensive TV coverage... but I don't really think you can blame those things on the fatboy himself.

Badmarsh

As a producer Fatboy is quite the man. We all know that.

But...his djing is absolutely appalling. And his antics even worse. If he utilized some of that premadona energy into his mixing, he'd be 10 times better I'm sure.

That's all I was trying to say.

mms

sometimes
Badmarsh said:
As a producer Fatboy is quite the man. We all know that.

But...his djing is absolutely appalling. And his antics even worse. If he utilized some of that premadona energy into his mixing, he'd be 10 times better I'm sure.

That's all I was trying to say.

people like to see a great big bald idiot jumping around though.
i think that jumping up and round stuff is what makes him overground rather than underground :)

labrat

hot on the heels of love
primal scene

anyone see primal scweam?
bobby g kept goading the crowd,couldn't hear what he was saying properley but it apperared to be along the lines of ;
"hippies!!! f*ckin' hippies"
"complicit with your own oppression"
"hippies!"
etc etc

it was a shame

don_quixote

Trent End
thought the coverage was usual annoyance of interviews intersecting songs that are cut halfway through and too many repeated plays of crap like the bravery, kaiser cheifs and keane - but what did i expect?

basement jaxx were pretty awesome

Primal Scream (R.I.P 27/06/05)

I like da Scream but surely the group must be finished. It was jus complete chaos. The funniest part was when the band left and it was jus Mani, who was playing 'I want you back' by the Jackson 5, and Bobby jus laying into the audience and Basement Jaxx...I was on the phone to my boy and we were jus there in total shock....it was upsetting to see. What makes it even more hilarious is that students of Scream, Kasabian, were surprisingly good while the teachers themselves, Primal Scream, fell apart....

for me it was a festival of surprises with a lot of the bands who I didn't like and didn't expect to do well really shining. Kaiser Chiefs, Keane, Bloc Party, The Killers and Kasabian were all very good. Coldplay despite the hipster hate proved that they are at the top of their game.

The BBC coverage was good, especially if you had digital, except for the last day and the fact that if you didnt catch the band when they did replays via the red button you were screwed seeing them again. I luckily managed to catch the Secret Machines via replay but they cut the set to go into M.I.A?!?!?! I nearly put my fist through the TV screen...:p

gabriel

The Heatwave
Tactics said:
I like da Scream but surely the group must be finished. It was jus complete chaos. The funniest part was when the band left and it was jus Mani, who was playing 'I want you back' by the Jackson 5, and Bobby jus laying into the audience and Basement Jaxx...I was on the phone to my boy and we were jus there in total shock....it was upsetting to see.

wow, that sounds GREAT! wish i'd seen that, it's exactly why i like primal scream...

Tactics said:
I like da Scream but surely the group must be finished. It was jus complete chaos. The funniest part was when the band left and it was jus Mani, who was playing 'I want you back' by the Jackson 5, and Bobby jus laying into the audience and Basement Jaxx...I was on the phone to my boy and we were jus there in total shock....it was upsetting to see. What makes it even more hilarious is that students of Scream, Kasabian, were surprisingly good while the teachers themselves, Primal Scream, fell apart....

for me it was a festival of surprises with a lot of the bands who I didn't like and didn't expect to do well really shining. Kaiser Chiefs, Keane, Bloc Party, The Killers and Kasabian were all very good. Coldplay despite the hipster hate proved that they are at the top of their game.

The BBC coverage was good, especially if you had digital, except for the last day and the fact that if you didnt catch the band when they did replays via the red button you were screwed seeing them again. I luckily managed to catch the Secret Machines via replay but they cut the set to go into M.I.A?!?!?! I nearly put my fist through the TV screen...:p

MIA was a bit youth club. Really dire.

Basement Jaxx would have been alright had it not been exactly the same as last year's and every other performance of theirs at Glastonbury. Boring through repetition.

Kaiser Chiefs - their frontman looked nothing like he does in their videos. He's porked up and looked proper fucked, which only added to their performance.

jenks

thread death
anyone see the primals interview where bobby g (mani didn't even notice) called basement jaxx 'fucking cocksuckers' at about 7.30 in the evening.
colin and edith trying to maintain their cool as if this was transgressive telly (their grundy moment) when it was just a shitty interview conducted with a stoner and this generation's answer to lemmy.
the actual gig was shabby in the extreme - they obviously wanted this to be an altamont moment, and even alluded to it in the interview, it was more like the shouty bloke down the pub trying to do an iggy after ten pints of diamond white

Last edited:

DJL

i'm joking
Glastonbury was shit except for Brian Wilson. The crowd seemed the lamest yet with it now costing £200 or whatever to get in. Ruined.