richard whiteley

matt b

Indexing all opinion
he lived just up the hill from us and i sat next to him on the train home a couple of months ago.
the population of this corner of yorkshire are suffering.

i hated countdown though.

labrat

hot on the heels of love
back in the day RW was runnin tings.
mind you ''tings''meant up at the crack of 4.00,hearty breakfast of resin and settle down to marvel at benvis frond's literacy.

seemed a good stick.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Randy Watson said:
So what? I never cared about him whilst he was alive and I don't care about him now.

sometimes the internet just fills me up with love for humanity.

labrat

hot on the heels of love
Randy Watson said:
So what? I never cared about him whilst he was alive and I don't care about him now.
someone has gone to the effort of writing this to show us how cold,distant and cynical he is, come back when granny dies sweetheart .

Rachel Verinder

one of the main problems with humanity at present is equating the death of a close family relative in terms of grief and loss with that of a right-wing daytime gameshow host who probably never heard of anyone here, let alone cared about them.

grieve for your own. not for abstract "celebrities."

Rachel Verinder said:
one of the main problems with humanity at present is equating the death of a close family relative in terms of grief and loss with that of a right-wing daytime gameshow host who probably never heard of anyone here, let alone cared about them.

Yes. This is clearly one of the main problems with humanity.
\
:rolleyes:

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Rachel Verinder said:

absolutely (apart from the word 'main'), but on the other hand, you don't need to go out of your way to celebrate the death of a bloke whose biggest crime was wearing shit suits, or claim that you 'don't care', but then 'care' enough to post here.

Rachel Verinder

what i care about is the poverty of people who can't shed a tear for their own friends or family but start blubbering like Stasist whales when Someone Famous cops it.

i didn't like it with diana in '97 and i don't like it now.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Rachel Verinder said:
what i care about is the poverty of people who can't shed a tear for their own friends or family but start blubbering like Stasist whales when Someone Famous cops it.

:)

labrat

hot on the heels of love
"claim that you 'don't care', but then 'care' enough to post here"
thats all i was saying.

Rachel Verinder said:

i didn't like it with diana in '97 and i don't like it now.

Why should having a little sympathy or empathy for Richard Whitely require that none be shown for dead friends or family?

Perversely, by publicly expressing your contempt for high-profile figures, you're trying to elevate your own reputation, perhaps to stand out from the herd of anonymous plebs you really detest. And that's the main problem with humanity at present, the Nemo drive.

"...I believe each human psyche has a fourth element, which, using a
word indicated by the Freudian terminology, I call the nemo. By this
I mean not only `nobody', but also the state of being nobody --
`nobodiness'. In short, just as physicists now postulate an anti-
matter, so must we consider the possibility that there exists in the
human psyche an anti-ego. This is the nemo. " John Fowles in the Aristos, 1964.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Rachel Verinder said:
perhaps you might like to answer the points i raised

i actually think its a problem relating to the elevated status of celebs within society, not the individuals within it. 'we' live our dreams through them, via the media, therefore it seems that 'we' care more about celebs than our own family members. having had to comfort distraught 17 year olds- who are often obsessed with celebrity- when they have found out a family member is ill/dying, i can vouch that the interest in celebs is not at the expense of people they know.
but if i didn't work with them/ had no contact, i'd probably hold the same view as yourself.

nomos

Administrator
HMGovt said:
"...just as physicists now postulate an anti-matter, so must we consider the possibility that there exists in the human psyche an anti-ego. This is the nemo. "
Wait. Did I miss a whole enormous subtext in Finding Nemo? :eek:

Last edited: