ragga-jungle experts...

blissblogger

.... please help me identify this monster 94-era ragga jungle tune that always gets played about five times a night any retro-jungle event or old skool rave (like friday's Dude Where's My Scene in brooklyn) i go to...

one of the main vocal licks is:

"yknow it's you-oo
i'm-a talking to-oo"

?

dominic

Beast of Burden
db was excellent in the main room -- breakbeat hardcore heavy on the piano anthems

otherwise, all the action was in the jungle room

kech of "stuck on earth" fame was phenomenal -- very very deep jungle voodoo vibe -- and every track he played was strong -- never heard a jungle dj of his caliber before

(i split time b/w dc and st louis in 94/96, and looking around the jungle room the other night i couldn't help but think that jungle penetrated much further in nyc than in those cities, i.e., in terms of street credibility, ethnic diversity of constituency, and djs getting the music down right -- though 94/96 years weren't good for me personally, i didn't go out much, and in many ways i missed the event of jungle at full blossom -- so i shouldn't be so quick to dismiss what may have happened in dc or st louis at the time)

camouflage was also pretty good -- ended set w/ baby d's "let me be your fantasy" -- his was more of a 91/93 set -- a bit too frenetic and abrasive in parts for my taste, but only marginally so -- he also played lots of stuff that i loved

and then dj odi -- who played the jungle room for the longest stretch and during the peak hours -- was also good -- played a lot of rebel mc ragga jungle

of course these guys are the undisputed big names in nyc jungle -- errrrr, and they were all good! -- so not a matter of discussing unknown djs

but all in all, it was kech who blew my mind/body/soul -- i spoke w/ him after his set, and if i recall correctly i think he said he plays a lot of electro stuff now -- but whatever it is that he plays now, i'm going to check him out -- i.e., i don't think it's possible for a dj to be as utterly down with it as he was the other night and then not have "the power" when playing a different dance genre
---------

also, i think nrg's "i need your lovin" got played about three times

------------

AND when i first showed up, i was really leery of the situation -- i.e., most of the people in line seemed like teenagers (and the line moved slowly, there were beefy security guards, etc)

and then once inside things slowly got better and better, almost imperceptibly, and then at about 1:00 or so i suddenly realized that i was in the midst of a really happening party -- really diverse crowd in terms of age, race, etc -- i was very pleased to be there

hopefully they'll be throwing more old skool events, b/c i think there's a real hunger for it in the public

at the same time, word on the street is that the current jungle sounds are also really good -- so maybe i'll have to hop back on the jungle train

Last edited:

dominic

Beast of Burden
i should also mention that dj b-12 (who didn't play, at least not when i was there, i.e, rave started at 7 pm) gave me a brilliant mix cd -- i've been rocking it non-stop on my computer

b-12 has seriously got the right 92/93 sound -- the wicked party vibe w/ just a touch of zaniness

(errrr, i suppose i like things deeper than b-12 takes it -- nonetheless an excellent mix cd -- and so cool that he and his girlfriend were handing the cd out for free at the rave)

blissblogger also has a copy of the cd, so will be interesting to see how he rates it

b-12 plays old skool jungle and breakbeat hardcore every friday on www.hardcorerevolution.co.uk 7 to 9 pm EST

and b-12 also plays saturdays on www.breakpirates.com from 6 to 10 pm EST

Last edited:

dominic

Beast of Burden
forgot to mention that the rave got shut down early b/c of a brawl outside the venue around 6 am

which is kinda cool too, if you think about it

Last edited:

evergreen

ahhhhhhh

i'll be sure not to miss next month's party (they said there'd be another one july 29th, hopefully it'll be an old-school event)

Canada J Soup

Monkey Man
Got there for the tail end of this. Really annoyed I didn't go earlier once I saw the line up (have been very much in the mood for jungle tekno of late) and realized what a big vibe there was. Anyone know who was on in the main room before DJ Funk? Loved that Baltimore Breaks set which, only having lived in the US for a few years, I'd never heard before aside from nth generation mixtapes.

I'm not at all surprised that a fight broke out. My initial thought on getting was that I hadn't seen that many fucked up shady people in one club since moving away from Dublin. Made me a little homesick for a while :)

blissblogger

Canada J Soup said:
I'm not at all surprised that a fight broke out. My initial thought on getting was that I hadn't seen that many fucked up shady people in one club since moving away from Dublin. Made me a little homesick for a while :)

ooh i dunno it was all very jolly and pleasant while i was there -- great atmosphere, no search from the bouncers, staff very hands-off. and it didn't even seem that druggy, more like people getting off on the great music and the reunion vibe. but i left quite a bit earlier than dominic, grim responsibilities the next day. the next one i'm going to make more of a full night of

the amazing part of it was the free before midnight aspect and even after that it was only 1o bucks. although maybe next time now they know it's a hit it'll be more pricey

also always good to be on a dancefloor with dry ice and strobes and intelligent lighting. that was the main room w/ more techno and 4/4 rave element, a bit saturday night fever-esque even. what was nice was the jungle room upstairs was more seedy and nonglitzy, up a stone staircase that got progressively more sweat slippery. and dense with smoke. so the environments were attuned to the musics.

adruu

This Is It
oldskool, dub war, and kudu/ganggangdance/irak in one weekend...why the f..k am i not there?

anyways, do a search for yaman and hardscore if you really need anymore 92-95...a friend put me on to this a couple days ago and it is darkcore gold. i would post a direct link but im being a prick intentionally and unecessarily.

Canada J Soup

Monkey Man
Don't get me wrong. The atmosphere was still great by the time I got there (must have been about 3.30/4.00 at which point it seemed to have become free again)...it's more that a fair part of the crowd reminded me of people I'd have seen out in Dublin clubs like Sides or Asylum / London clubs like Bagley's or Club UK in the early to mid 90s than I'd normally see out of a Friday night in NYC. Everyone having a laugh, nobody looking for hassle, but a few lads that wouldn't have a problem if something did get started. I did get a fairly strong druggy vibe from the late night dancers though. Got a bit jealous and all.

dominic

Beast of Burden
not to go into full-on missionary zeal about kech . . . .

but he's playing friday night at the delancey AND he'll be playing a completely and utterly different set!?!

i.e., he's gonna play electro, classic house, hip hop, rock, 70s funk and whatever else suits him

so whereas at the rave he put down the deep jungle voodoo vibe as well as can be done -- but of course with an inner dynamic and give and take, i.e., lots of tracks with girl vocals, tracks w/ weird piano bits, etc -- and yet still very very heavy on the deep jungle vibe . . . . <------------whereas last friday he did that

----------------->this friday he's going to play many genres of dance music -- AND i'm totally confident he'll be brilliant -- i.e., i can't remember the last time i had so much faith in a dj

(errrr, i suppose the dj at the roots manuva after party blew me away pretty seriously -- and i still need to get you guys his name, b/c that dj was from sheffield and so probably a known quantity in these parts)

and i expect kech will do serious inner weaving of genres, NOT serial genre murder

and no, i wasn't on drugs at the old skool rave

(i wouldn't have minded taking one, but i brought none with me for sadly (or amusingly) complicated reasons)

so you can't blame my testifying on drugs

ALSO, i find myself wondering about the ethnic background of kech and the rest of the "stuck on earth" posse -- does anyone know? . . . . . i'd guess that kech and some of the others in that crowd are native american or mexican or some combination -- not that ethnicity matters in the end, but it's certainly part of the story

dominic

Beast of Burden
Canada J Soup said:
I did get a fairly strong druggy vibe from the late night dancers though. Got a bit jealous and all.

you are correct

lots of coke and other white powders being snorted off fists

lots of weed and -- keeping in mind the bloomberg ban -- cigarettes

poppers

and yet completely on the one party vibe -- i.e., so little threat or sign of violence that i was in fact surprised when they shut place down

-- and security did say something along the lines of, "a few knuckleheads outside ruined it for the rest of yous"

PLUS -- how could i forget? -- lots of super bad ass junglista girls dancing

dominic

Beast of Burden
oh -- and this one girl was wearing a t-shirt that said "shut up and dance"

she wasn't familiar with the label == but once i explained matters to her, she was super pleased with her choice of t-shirt for the evening

dominic

Beast of Burden
oh -- and kech gave me this flyer for friday . . . .

yeah, i know, pretty loathsome piece of networking on my part -- i usually avoid such nonsense -- but i actually have valid reasons for liasing with kech

(i.e., i've yet to sort it out completely, but it looks like i'll be doing a very very very short weekly "blurb" -- so short that it'd be pretentious to call it a column -- hyping some dance music night somewhere in nyc later that same week ------> since i can't actually say i'm on top of things, i thought it imperative that i establish contact w/ kech asap, b/c he's so clearly on top)

here's the flyer

note that it's totally free to get in

Last edited:

cooper

dominic said:
lots of weed and -- keeping in mind the bloomberg ban -- cigarettes

was it just me, or does mad cigarette smoking spontaneously break out in all drinking establishments outside manhattan about 1:30-2AM?

dominic

Beast of Burden
went and saw kech and his partner (the "stuck on earth" crew) again last night at climax on ave b at second street

(dara was playing when i showed up -- but i personally find his sets rather boring and flat, too much riffage, not enough power)

these guys are the real deal

i'll try to alert nyc dissensus community next time they're scheduled do an old skool jungle gig

(btw kech didn't play at delancey on friday b/c there were too many djs there or some such reason)