Blogspot as a music promotional tool?!?

hint

party record with a siren
1) it's free webspace

2) there's no need to pay someone to code it all - you can just log in and update it yourself whenever you have some news to put up

3) blogspot etc actually look half decent

think that's what it comes down to really - no need to faff about (or spend any money) registering a domain name or building anything... you can be up and running in 10 minutes and have a site that you can link to on your 12" label for people who might want to know more... I guess the most significant aspect of it all is the realisation that having a presence on the web doesn't always have to mean having flashy design - your site can look like 1 million others and it doesn't matter as long as you're writing stuff that people want to read.

dominic

Beast of Burden
i think that thanks to people like blissblogger, woebot, k-punk, gutterbreakz, silver dollar, original soundtrack, et al, that a network is now in existence to push whatever sounds any of us may think worthy -- get promos out to people all around the world who you think may enjoy a band or sound AND who are capable of writing intelligent and meaningful reviews should they indeed like the music

to some extent this has already happened with dizzee rascal/grime and the junior boys (whom k-punk had a significant role in popularizing)

and so far, the dynamic has been to disseminate uk sounds -- errr, junior boys are canadian?

however, there's no reason that such exchange cannot run in multiple directions

not that i'd advise a record label boss to dispense with traditional channels for promotion (that'd be entirely too reckless), but it seems to me that the network that "we" have is an alternative route that in many ways could prove more effective for getting the word out -- i.e., b/c you eliminate the hacks and money-grubbers and actually get the music to people who care about the direction of music -- so if you'd be a fool to rely on "our" network exclusively, you'd be even more of a fool not to try using it

ALSO -- b/c so many producers and djs also frequent this board, the dissensus-centered network also represents a way to get records into the hands of djs who o/w might not get a certain record in their hands b/c records are typically narrowly distributed to certain dj networks and record shops, such that if you have an act or record on your hands that could appeal to all kinds of camps -- or at least hold more potential appeal for someone else's camp than your own camp -- then you're gonna need a way to break into those other camps -- and given the "community spirit" on this board, you'll likely be able to have friendly dealings with people who might otherwise be strangers to you

dominic

Beast of Burden
none of the above is to deny, however, that i sometimes find myself wondering whether grime has been less than entirely credible in the united states b/c of over-dependency upon internet and blog channels

i.e., it's a very complicated question which has been addressed on other threads w/ nothing remotely approaching a clear conclusion

so i think that blog-centered "hype" is a sword that could prove to have a double edge -- so you need to have luck on your side

but what's the phrase from machiavelli? fortune is a woman?

(hopefully that last remark won't come off as misogynistic -- read derrida on nietzsche's use of the feminine!)