Gloomcore

Woebot

It's k-punk's birthday soon, and he's always been plagueing me for a comp of Mover/Gloomy Stuff, so I took the time to dig out and go through all my Gloomcore tracks and cherry-picked 2 CDs of stuff, which I recorded to disk from vinyl.

Does anyone know these tracks? Was I the only person besides blissblogger (?) who managed to source any of these at the time? Does anyone have any recherche recommendations?

I found 80% of my Gloomcore in one go. In Spitalfields market there was an extremely dodgy little store run by a creature (OK thats unkind ;)) called Tog. I found over 100 PCP, Cold Rush and Dance Ecstacy releases in one of the bargain bins. It took a very long time to convince the bloke to actally sell them to me (3 weeks ringing him up and pestering him up) He said he needed to get them priced accurately, but I think eventually gave up, and sold them to me for a quid or so each. I actually went through them a few years ago (2000?) and weeded out the crap, quite thoroughly and well, if I remember so no gasping at the back. Sacre blue! etc

Was very weirded out at the time cos I was a member of the Alien Underground Gabba mailing list (where I found quite a few other PCP tracks, that along with the Soul and Dance M&V where I scored Spiritual Combat and Into Mekong Centre, actually Spiritual Combat was the only track i wished I'd put on here, but must have forgotten to hook it out). Anyway Alien Underground had an editorial where they said their container had been broken into and a load of PCP records had been stolen. I did REALLY worry that, given the quite shady nature of Tog, he might have been complicit as a Gabba fence. But, BUT, the dates were wrong. My records were available BEFORE the alleged break-in. Still it was a bit uncomfortable, though I stopped short of ringing Simon Underground and telling him lest he impound my Gloomcore :)

Just for the record, in the past I have permanently boycotted 2 record stores who I found knowingly sold stolen records. I'm a righteous git at the best of times.

AND BEFORE YOU ASK, NO, YOU CAN'T HAVE A COPY OF THESE CDs.

NO!

This one's for the k-punk alone.
Though I was amazed how much Arcadipane was available at Gemm, so get thee hence.

ps For the record, two of these tunes "untitled" and the Slaves to the Rave Remix come from a cassette Simon made me back in 1997 (!!!). I have a version of Slaves to the Rave on vinyl as well, but its the original. The remix, in this instance, is superior.

Last edited:

Gido

night tripper
nice present!

i'm from holland so i know em all! ;)

btw. the music is getting harder again nowadays at hardcore raves, for years it used to be all this hardstyle, hardcore with the balls cut off, even marc moved into this area with aca. atm styles like industrial are gaining popularity, these tracks are all hard distortion and noise.

mms

sometimes
i've got those 2 mover cds - the cold rush and dance extacy back cats if you like i'll burn em.
got quite alot of that kind of stuff and old mover on vine as well, plus some of the 'inspired by ' stuff.
do you know that c-tank track - nightmares are reality - good one that

blissblogger

"Burning Universe" -- don't know that one! which release is that on?

another one i don't recognise "Eastern Origin"...

and not sure about "Immortal" either!

"frozen boom erection" -- what a title! and the lower case thing, ee cummingsy...

there's a fair few other gems scattered across the discography, Rave Creator's "Thru Eternal Fog" , Cypher's "marchin into madness', Reign's "Light and Dark", Miro's "Bass Drum Elevation", Dr MacabreVoodoo Nightmare from Ghost Stories: Chapter One, and he did another EP that was really good

Reign's "Hall" is pretty amazing, although really has to be heard in a largish room at largish volume, ideally with the lights turned off

the crucial third CD would be best-of of the Horrorist including his collaborations with Miro as SuperPower... Oliver Chesler is still putting out records (big in Germany, or was for a while) and the last one he did with Miro was pretty great if not exactly shattering the mold

Gido

night tripper
blissblogger said:
"Burning Universe" -- don't know that one! which release is that on?

another one i don't recognise "Eastern Origin"...

and not sure about "Immortal" either!

burning universe is on the final frustration lp, eastern origin is by alien christ if i remember correctly, immortal is by rave creator and is featured on the best of 89-97 double pack.

blissblogger said:
"frozen boom erection" -- what a title! and the lower case thing, ee cummingsy...

there's a fair few other gems scattered across the discography, Rave Creator's "Thru Eternal Fog" , Cypher's "marchin into madness', Reign's "Light and Dark", Miro's "Bass Drum Elevation", Dr MacabreVoodoo Nightmare from Ghost Stories: Chapter One, and he did another EP that was really good

yes, brilliant titles. dr macabre is not marc acardipane but a french guy. i saw him live last year, good but not great.

blissblogger said:
the crucial third CD would be best-of of the Horrorist including his collaborations with Miro as SuperPower... Oliver Chesler is still putting out records (big in Germany, or was for a while) and the last one he did with Miro was pretty great if not exactly shattering the mold

big in holland too, especially flesh is the fever was a HUGE hit. he did some electroclash stuff as well, not so great. i think his sound isnt so good as i used to be, now that he's doing in all inside a computer.

juicy fact: oliver threw up in my toilet once. :p i'm so proud! ;)

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
Blackdown said:
how can gabba get harder?

well, if it get softer for a while, as it did with newstyle. all that Neophyte sort of 160 bpm distorted kick drum and cheezy anthemic synths (and even the odd whack of pop tunage).

mms

sometimes
i have a soft spot for vs evil off franfurt trx 4
also one of his breakbeat ones - black blood
but one of the greatest tracks off all time is nighflight to chaos - (parallels with night drive thru babylon)

hamarplazt

100% No Soul Guaranteed
WOEBOT said:
Does anyone know these tracks? Was I the only person besides blissblogger (?) who managed to source any of these at the time? Does anyone have any recherche recommendations?
I know most of them. It's a pretty good selection, but actually most of my personal favorites isn't on it. Nothing from the "Sickness"-trilogy, or from Program 1s "Louder than a Bomb"-EP, or from the "Doom Supporters"-EP (by far the greatest of the Cold Rush records IMO)? An Acardipane-best of should at least include these:
Reconstructin Instructions (the ideal opener, from Frontal Sickness. Actually, that EP should really be included in full)
Invite the Fear (from Frontal Sickness 2)
World Downfall+The Emperor Takes Place (from Final Sickess, some of the scariest pieces of music I've ever heard)
Betrayer+U Got a Light? (from Louder than a Bomb)
All of Doom Supporters: Rave Creator: Me- the Master, Cypher: H-Flash, Tanochinjiaii: Fallen Angel, Tilt!: Psycho Whistler.

A record worth mentioning too is the Frankfurt Trax vol.II compilation, all Acardipane except two tracks where he collaborates with DJ Dag and Sven Väth! It really shows how far his talent stretched, from the rampage of "We Have Arrived" over deep, hypnotic doom-house to strange experimental stuff. One of the greatest albums of 92.

There's also the acid side of the PCP-equation: 303 Nation/ 100% Acidiferous. Some amazing tracks there too.

hamarplazt

100% No Soul Guaranteed
Blackdown said:
how can gabba get harder?
Gabber can allways get harder it seems. It's always possible to mangle the sounds even more, making them more metallic and massive and punishing.

hamarplazt

100% No Soul Guaranteed
mms said:
do you know that c-tank track - nightmares are reality - good one that
Yeah, that Nightmares... album trilogy is classic. Somehow C-Tank was a completely different thing from gloomcore, though. No fat mentasm sounds or thick kick drums or anything, just incredibly fast and shrill machine music. The most deliberately ungroovy stuff I've ever encountered - like they didn't want you to dance to it at all.

hamarplazt

100% No Soul Guaranteed
blissblogger said:
i think dr macabre is the same guy as renegade legion
Indeed. His most well known pseudonym is probably Lunatic Asylum, though. The track "The Meltdown" was one of the biggest trance hits of 93.

hamarplazt

100% No Soul Guaranteed
hamarplazt said:
Nothing from the "Sickness"-trilogy, or from Program 1s "Louder than a Bomb"-EP, or from the "Doom Supporters"-EP (by far the greatest of the Cold Rush records IMO)?
Ah, I just saw "Me- the Master" from Doom Supportes is included... sorry about that my good man.

Woebot

minikomi said:
so... you have some music u really like, you got it cheap, and we can't hear it?

awesome.

sorry blud.

(whispers) though you may be able to get some stuff on slsk.

try gemm too.