demoscene/chiptunes

dozer

i'm writing a piece on the demoscene (see here ) and i wanted peoples opinions on the scene - legitimate music scene vs computer/hacker scene arguments and stuff. anyone actually interested in it? also, do you know of any coverage its getting outside of its own little bubble (any UK radio play yet - resonance or anything?)

cheers

dozer

AshRa

I'm going to have to get up to my mum & dad's, dust the Amiga off and have a day reminiscing!

I used to like collecting demos more than games, and the fact that you could release your own for the price of a 3.5" disk (and lots of late nights) made it into me & my friends' version of DIY punk scene 10 years too late! ;)

If I had a week off work i'd quite happily go through all my old demos and make a mixtape of the classic themes...

*adds to the things to do when I get a week off work pile*

I used to be on the periphery of "The Scene" on The Amiga as an antisocial teenager making GFX and music as 'Mutant Mango' around the late 80s and early 90s. I can't say I've got any real depth of knowledge about the scene but I was part of a medium-sized group called 'Quartz' at one point. We made a couple of trackmos, a few more intros and loads of packs (including Majic Mushrooms packs for a while), had a few BBSs, put on a UK party at one point and just generally enjoyed the social side.

It's amazing looking back at all the productions that were made, and all just for artistic expression and showing off rather than for money. Lots of work was put into demos but at the end of the day 90% of them looked and sounded the same. The amount of bitching and backstabbing was hilarious though - it reminds me now of the ridiculous "beefs" in hip-hop. Emotionally immature people with distorted opinions of the importance of themselves and "The Scene".