strange post post punk experiments

zhao

there are no accidents
Just picked up copies of the DOME tapes vol. 1,2,3 and 4 on CD. you know, the experimental post Wire project which I think had something to do with the beginning of the Touch label? and also the Bruce Gilbert solo album from 1986 called This Way to the Shivering. love the somber aesthetic and playfulness and the simplicity.

how do you feel about this stuff?

were there other things like this around that time period I should know about? maybe there are some Swell Maps side projects or something?

jwd

confucius said:
Just picked up copies of the DOME tapes vol. 1,2,3 and 4 on CD. you know, the experimental post Wire project which I think had something to do with the beginning of the Touch label? and also the Bruce Gilbert solo album from 1986 called This Way to the Shivering. love the somber aesthetic and playfulness and the simplicity.

were there other things like this around that time period I should know about? maybe there are some Swell Maps side projects or something?

DOME LPs fantastic - also worth checking out Gilbert/Lewis' other collabs around the time - Cupol "Like This For Ages", Lewis/Gilbert "3R4" LP and "Ends With the Sea" 7" (I think they're all compiled on the "8 Time" CD on 4AD) and the Gilbert/Lewis/Mills "Mzui" LP. Plus a bit later on there's the Duet Emmo LP (Gilbert and Lewis w/Daniel Miller), P'o (w/Angela Conway etc.), also the first AC Marias 7" "Drop/So" on the Dome label. Maybe Colin Newman's "...the Singing Fish" LP as well.

Swell Maps? Umm, not really, Nikki goes into his Stones troubadour mode (Jacobites 'n' all that), Epic Soundtracks only released two singles ("Jelly Babies" and "Rain Rain Rain")... Haven't heard Jowe's "Pincer Movement" LP.

Other things like DOME? Depends how far you want to head into noise/industrial, I dunno, I always linked those DOME records to ppl like Hafler Trio, early Touch Records releases, Organum/Colin Potter/NWW, etc.. You'd prob. love the first Laughing Hands LP "Ledge". (Available on a two-fer with "Dog Photos" - on the Extreme label)

(Sorry for brevity, work overload)

Woebot

confucius said:

sfunny i was never mad on the dome records. but they are nice.

i think jwd was probably right to steer you in the direction of the 'industrial' records.

i suppose as well nurse with wound "homotopy for marie" (though its quite noisy, less focussed than the dome stuff) def the lemon kittens "hammer for daddy", cabaret voltaire "red mecca" and "crepuscule songs" (really quite similar, also excellent), martin rev "clouds of glory" the ghedalias tazartes records, or even maybe can's "unlimited edition "bowie's "low" which undoubtably influenced that stuff.....

nonightsweats

the vast majority of the sydney post-punk stuff that came out of the m-squared label probably meets this criteria. try 'scattered order', 'makers of the dead travel fast', 'prod', 'acra' and various solo projects.

labrat

hot on the heels of love
Bruce Gilbert and Ron West had a album released on Sahko of a 1974 (ie; pre Wire) piece'' frequency variation''.It was recorded using two oscillators and a reel-to-reel tape recorder and for all it sounds like 1974, it has much in common with panasonic & other sahko bods.

zhao

there are no accidents
Sahko!!!!!!

how do you feel about the Pansonic 4 disc box that came out last year compared to the previous albums?

does anyone know what is happening with the Sahko sub-label which is focusing on dub reggae or dub reggae-ish styles?

who loves R&S - "See Mi Yah" ?