Who are the most 'important' acts of today?

Buick6

too punk to drunk
I'm talking sonically, ideologically, politically?

Is it M.I.A ?

Coldplay?

Is it Eminem?

Is it all the 'queer' artists: Rufus Wrainright, antony, Le tigre...?

Is it the White stripes?

Missy Elliot?

Seriously who would you say is really important in today's rock/pop/techno muzak climate?

soundslike1981

What's the working definition of important here? Will become canonical? Will become standard issue must-buy "pop history" that kids getting into music will buy in 20 years to know what the early century was about? Is musically innovative? Is the current commercial trend?

I've felt like Bjork is/will be one of the "important" major label/mainstream artists of the last 15+ years. I think the things she synthesises represent a truly modern pop.

Other than that, there's no body that I ever think of in those terms at all. It's just "what I like". But "nowness" isn't a criterion that I use much.

zhao

there are no accidents
without too much thinking over:

Ryuji Ikeda

Pan Sonic

Alva Noto

Sizzla

Jack Rose

etc etc etc...

Buick6

too punk to drunk
xiquet said:
"will become canonical" seems like a decent definition.

yeah that nails it. I guess 'canonical' aesthetically is the more relevant term, but I was wondering also artists that have a social relevance like say Public enemy or Rage against the Machine or Bob Dylan - but music as a political tool these days generally gets laughed at. You know i'm think along the lines that you know listening to the Velvets or the Stooges or nick Cave might make you interested in great literature or heroin or art or whatever.

i mean do ColdPlay or even U2 inspire you want to seek out lesser known and greater art than their supposedly own?

Last edited:

minikomi

pu1.pu2.wav.noi
i think a few will be

oval, afx, keith fullarton whitman. . .

just for the fact they produce amazing creative output that very much 'current' (to us)

S

simon silverdollar

dizzee, villalobos, lenky, and may be someone like Black Dice.

nonseq

simon silverdollar said:
dizzee, villalobos, lenky, and may be someone like Black Dice.
I was going to say I haven't heard much from Lenky lately, then I found out about his new riddim Bubble Up.
Did I miss something or did he do, after Dreamweaver, only remixes and exclusive production?

Badmarsh

I'd say Roll Deep, DJ Hatcha, Digital Mystikz, and a few key behind the scenes engineers who trust me are so important to what u hear and see...but don't get the recoginition (they dont particularly want it) but bigthem up anyway.