Notting Hill

Woebot

The record stores are great, so are a load of the other shops, even the restaurants are good.

But damn what a hell-hole. What happened with Notting Hill. When did it become Chelsea?

I would rather die than live there. All the people are so fucking smug. I pity any Dissensus folk who live in this borough, you poor wee lambs, you must feel like complete orphans!

Everyone is down on Hoxton and my manor, but this is just the bleating of the envious. Bohemians took a chance coming east innit.

Rachel Verinder

can't say i've ever noticed any overt evidence of smugness in w11 in the quarter-century that i've known it. the house prices have gone skyhigh, thereby pricing out locals, but that's the story virtually anywhere in london. the poncy bit of portobello has always been there, as has the down-to-earth, proper portobello the other side of the westway. road of two halves innit.

clapham. now that's smug for you. go and have breakfast in the Pavement Cafe of a weekend morning and see if you don't feel like the baader-meinhof gang afterwards. and there aren't even any good book or record shops to excuse it.

Rachel Verinder

chelsea's nice. i lived there 1985-93 and i still go down picasso's for my breakfast on saturday morning. no decent record shops there either, but i'm sentimentally/umbilically attached to the place and would gladly go back and live there if i could afford it. people talk to you there as well; they're not snobs. for the latter you have to go up kensington way.

Woebot

Rachel Verinder said:
cclapham. now that's smug for you. go and have breakfast in the Pavement Cafe of a weekend morning and see if you don't feel like the baader-meinhof gang afterwards. and there aren't even any good book or record shops to excuse it.

go on Marcello start a clapham thread ;)