Functions On The Low

S

simon silverdollar

is that the misty cold remix by XTC [not the 80s band obv.]?
if so, yeah, it's one of the greatest grime tracks of all time.

originaldrum

from start till done
the misty cold tune is BIG (rmx is biggage too) ! but function on the low is the flip side of the rmx, it is this awesomely sad kinda flutey soundin tune - i think mpc put a video snippet up with outbreak crew if you know the one

but yeah that n lethal injection are off the hook - two of my biggest for the year

C

captain easychord

CHOOOOON!

i copped this on 12" last month. wicked bizniss.

jed_

The board would be alot better if you actually told us what this stuff was. it feels quite exclusive (though i'm sure that's not the intention).

luka

biggest thing i've heard on that tip recently, a couple of weeks back, the link up, nicky slim ting on production, all star mc line up including the legend
SHARK MAJOR
brrapp brrapp!

C

captain easychord

oh man, haven't been hearing enough of sharky these days...

S

simon silverdollar

that funktion on da low track is wicked- i always thought it was a ruff sqwad production cuz they always used to play it loads on their sets, so it's nice to find out that there are other producers equal to rapid + dirty danger's genius.

also found out that kano's done a vocal for it, called 'ghetto kayote' [TITLE!!!]. You can hear it on cameo's set on 1extra.

so glad to hear shark major's back. all we need now is N.A.S.T.Y back on the pirates...

i'm a bit confused because i haven't been able to Luca's sample yet, and the track on the Outbreak Cru thing doesn't sound like Misty Cold at all, (never got into Misty Cold much despite being smitten with Ruff Sqwad) and I'm pretty sure that on Ruff Sqwad sets I heard them saying "this is a Rapid production, Rapid is the biggest producer on road" over it, and that seems like the most inappropriate title and the most over-obvious artist name but...

DAMN! That's probably my favourite track of the year. Thankyou for telling me what it was! And it struck me again listening to that dark video sample: Is grime the best music for listening to in bad quality sound EVER? It's the most delicate track, but distort it to fuck and chuck some incomprehensible (apart that great SHOW DEM! bit at the end) but infectiously enthusiastic shouting over it, and it bangs! Obviously it's because of pirate radio; who was it who was talking about the way the music has developed to fit the limited format? I wanted to quote that in my masturbation, woops sorry i mean dissertation, comparing it to how Miami Bass developed because of car stereos and Bomb Squad style beats because of headphones. Maybe the perverse secret of it is that the production is so clean? There seems to be a connection to blissed out late 80s rock (Ingram even compared my namesake to Steve Albini) and Fennesz and even Autechre's Pen Expers, the most achingly beatiful melodies struggling to survive under masses of feedback. Except here, the distortion is usually not part of the 'primary text'.

C

captain easychord

originaldrum said:
is that kano tune on function on the low or over kamikaze's ghetto kyote riddim

it's the latter, you're right, although it has the same wistful quality.

mpc otm about goosebumps. the only rival grime goosebumpage for me comes courtesy of sharkie's this ain't a game/so many days (when I finally found the mp3, i recommended it to nick k on soulseek and he listened and said "I'm melting!") although diz's brand new day & do it, and other ruff sqwad tracks come close

S

simon silverdollar

yeah, sorry of course funktion + ghetto kayote are different. bit hasty on my part. they are quite similar though aren't they? that same reedy stuttery sound on the beats.

another grime track that'll give you goosebumps: the 'unreleased' dizzee track on the lord of the decks cd, the one with the chorus of 'he said this and [oh] she said that and [oh] , whatyoutalkingbout? whatyoutakingbout?'. it's really beautiful and dizzee pushes his high-pitched cockney squeal to its logical conclusion.

also features the famous lyric:
'tell yr fella to go to hella
dizzee run tings like nel mandela'

originaldrum

from start till done
simon silverdollar said:
another grime track that'll give you goosebumps: the 'unreleased' dizzee track on the lord of the decks cd,

streetfighter is am awesome tune man ,, fully unorthodox, and dizzee pulls out some old lyrics from like him n wiley sidewinder days for the dvd unreleased tune

luka

y know that tune wasn't made at the time lotd2 come out though. it came out on dubplate at pretty much exactly the same time as i luv u. its well old. brilliant though. maybe my favourite song of his ever.

Ach!

Turd on the Run
"Think you're a nutter? I'll spread your face like butter"

"Shit ain't gravy shit ain't Bisto that just it bro"

If there's not a Sharky Major LP in 2005 then I'll be forced to give up all rationality and listen solely to Pat Benatar for the rest of my days.

Just bought 'Ur Love Feels' including original 'Pied Piper' instrumental on the flip. Choyce!