Why nobody rates Jestofunk?

Buick6

too punk to drunk
Since dance music is in total remission, I'm curious to know why nobody rated the Italo-Chicago experiment 'Jestofunk.

sure the album 'love in a black dimension' had some horrible 'acid-jazz (remember that 90s hippie aberration - the 'happy' flipside of 'grunge'!!) numbers, but with dance music having a constant identity-crisis right now, it's interesting to note that Jestofunk were pointing to the future of dance music by reclaiming it as a 'band' thing, which I guess the New Yawker trendies via DFA rekkids and 'click,clickclick' or whatever are doing right here and now.

Tracks like 'say it again' and 'can we live' are classic floor-filling- stompers with enough pure 'rockist' action to put the biggest intellectual into a post-Lacanain-Derridian double entendre.

dominic

Beast of Burden
i can't think of any of their records off hand

but i have it in my head that they did a number of really good balearic tracks back in 90/91

so if i can't say that i rate them per se, they at least have a good reputation in my very tiny corner of the universe

redcrescent

Hmm. Love in a black dimension (the two tracks you mention plus maybe "Moai Message" are semi-good) is about the only listenable Jestofunk output, the other stuff is way too smooth house/lite-jazz for my taste.

I think you may be overstating the 'band' aspect, it is basically 3 Italian producer/musicians (Moz-Art is the only name I can think of on the quick) plus a changing cast of session players. What makes Love... bearable is Cee Cee Roger's voice and Fred Wesley's 'bone, IMHO.

That said, some good times with that disc. At this place I used to go to to score hash they'd always put that on when the drugs buffet walked in the door.

A word of warning: avoid the Love... remixes, they are atrocious.