Visiting London - Record store recommendations

defchild

selecta
Hiya,

I'll be in London next week/weekend and am allocating a full day for [vinyl] record shopping, bin browsing, etc ... What shops do the locals recommend ??

my styles:
- [west] african flavours esp. used, rare and out of print stuff
- techno (esp. along the lines of perlon, playhouse, klang, shitkatapult, etc)
- grime, broken beat , recent & classic dancehall
- dub

thanks,
io

Blackdown

nexKeysound
for grime you gotta do Rhythm Divsion, found about a 10 minute walk from Mile End tube.

for techno Smallfish in old st is good.

loads of shops are based in soho though: Uptown (garage & r&b), BM/Blackmarket (d&b, house & dubstep), Phonica (electronica, leftfield etc), Release the Groove (broken beat, house etc), Mr Bongos (hip hop, latin), Sound of the Universe (eclectic, reissues...), Reckless (second hand 12"s), Sister Ray (eclectic) - and i'm sure there's more!

Woebot

defchild said:
Hiya,

I'll be in London next week/weekend and am allocating a full day for [vinyl] record shopping, bin browsing, etc ... What shops do the locals recommend ??

my styles:
- [west] african flavours esp. used, rare and out of print stuff
- techno (esp. along the lines of perlon, playhouse, klang, shitkatapult, etc)
- grime, broken beat , recent & classic dancehall
- dub

thanks,
io

west african- paris is the place for this ;) the best place is prolly rhythm in soho (and even thats not very good)
techno- phonica in soho i suppose
grime- as per blackdown, rhythm division on the bow road. dancehall try dub vendor on ladbroke grove. but uptown in soho is just as good really
dub- (controversially) id suggest 'rock' rhythm in soho. rip daddy kool.

the best neighbourhood is soho, followed by notting hill

http://www.woebot.com/movabletype/archives/000127.html
(which also fetaures guides to other areas in the comments box)

gabriel

The Heatwave
WOEBOT said:
dancehall try dub vendor on ladbroke grove. but uptown in soho is just as good really

you must be joking?!

flashback in essex road, n1 has some good 2nd hand dancehall (and lots of other styles too). haggle vinyl just a bit further up essex road away from angel has tonnes of 2nd hand stuff of all genres, some fun digging to be done there.

new dancehall/reggae - try dub vendor (clapham/ladbroke grove), regal (lower clapton road, hackney), blacker dread (cold harbour lane, brixton), gladdy wax (northwold rd, stoke newington)

stelfox

Beast of Burden
yeah, you really need all the ragga shops xiquet mentioned and rhythm division for grime. sadly london is one of the worst places in the world to shop for techno. i don't know where yr coming from but if you are going anywhere in germany, i'd save it till u get there, especially cologne.

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
techno - try Eukatech on Endell Street in Covent Garden

also, Trakheadz on Kentish Town Road in Camden (if that's still open?); that one's run by DJ Jerome who, really, just too awesome to be true.

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
Pearsall said:
techno - try Eukatech on Endell Street in Covent Garden

also, Trakheadz on Kentish Town Road in Camden (if that's still open?); that one's run by DJ Jerome who, really, just too awesome to be true.

Jerome lives in Brazil now, he pops over every now and then but you are right, he's shit hot on the 1's and 2's...

It's been a while since I went shopping properly, but I'm back in the smoke soon. I'll check out the reliable 2nd hand outfits like Soul & Dance Exchange, Reckless, Selectadisc as usual, but I'm a bit concerned that there's no shop left in town that stocks 4 track garage white label E.P.s or represses (assuming they're still getting made), or grime mixtapes. Uptown, Riddim Division & Pure Groove is no more, Black Market's website implies that downstairs is now purely dubstep and D&B, Release the Groove & Mixing Records/ Big Apple is off the web hence probably defunct. Am I missing any or is that it an accurate description of what's what?

Ulala

Awkward Woodward
Probably not what you're hoping to hear but this

... I'm a bit concerned that there's no shop left in town that stocks 4 track garage white label E.P.s or represses (assuming they're still getting made), or grime mixtapes.

is entirely accurate. The days of garage getting pressed to vinyl (be it originals, bootlegs or represses) are long since gone - you'll still get dubstep and the various 'post-' mutations thereof on vinyl but yer actual garage is extinct. Second-hand only, I'd say. As for grime tapes, again they're a dying breed - I've seen people punting self-pressed ones on the high street of a Saturday (and I tend to think these are just as likely to be road rap CDs as grime) but I haven't seen one in a shop for ages.

Pity really but ta for the update. Not only were those 4 track bootleg EP's lucrative to the scamps pressing them up, but they often introduced people to rarities they wouldnt have heard otherwise. And Garage seemed to embrace the format like no other scene, which I'm guessing is partly because they've always held 'old skool' in such high esteem

Turns out that DnR records is a shop in the real world and not just the interweb. It's not far from Croydon town centre. Close your eyes and you can imagine youre in Soho circa 2001. Unfortunately it's 2001 prices.

On another note, Music & Video exchange seem to be under the illusion that Todd Edwards records are worthless, I caught a 4 track EP for 50p which could easily have gone for a tenner on ebay

Bangpuss

Honest Jon's

Honest Jon's in Notting Hill is the best record shop I've found for world music. Owned by Damon Albarn, but take no notice of that.