Target at FWD!

Woebot

I've never been to FWD, and I'll concede that Dubstep/Grimm aint really my thing, but Fiddy has told me that Target is playing there on July 21st, so I'm going to check it out.

Seems as though diehard FWDers have been having problems with types such as Target headlining, so there may be some interesting tensions!

Anyone fancy coming along? It'd be cool to hook up with some Dissensus people. bun-u for instance we've yet to meet and i haven't seen mms for what feels like ages. How about it?

Blackdown

nexKeysound
i cant make it and i cant tell you how much that hurts :(
Targo and DMZ!!! arrrrgh!!!

ps it's Hatcha and Logan this thurs.

gabriel

The Heatwave
do they announce mcs in advance or even book them, or do they just turn up on the night? any idea who'll be down there on thrusday?

Blackdown

nexKeysound
FWD>> has traditionally been a producer/DJ enclave, so no they dont announce the guest MCs because i'm guessing they dont want 1000s of wastemen MCs turning up and begging for the mic and shifting the emphasis. but blatantly the best MCs, like D Double, Riko, Jammer and Wiley etc get invited down. I'm sure Logan will - and i hope he will - play grime vocals because that's what he's made it his mission to do.

gumdrops

im just wondering because it seems that going from logan's interview in RWD, he doesnt think many DJs, apart from him, play grime vocals. it would be interesting to find out why.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
most grime radio shows start with vocal grime bits (they used to play r&b in this slot, before diz & wiley did 'u were always' and those kind of tunes) then go into grime instrumentals with MCs. in clubs they tend to play instrumentals with MCs over the top.

so to answer your question, the reason why DJs dont play so many vocals is because grime is a MC/artist focused scene, apposed to a DJ focused scene.

gumdrops

ok, but if grime is a MC-focused scene, surely vocal tracks would fall right into that as theyre all about the MC?

Last edited:

Badmarsh

Dont forget the mighty HATCHA in the place...playin the finest in ongybongy...including exclusive bits from a new artist called SCUBA...who is bringing the north of the river flava...look out for a tune called "words"...double reload at dmz just gone.

SCUBA001 - Timba/Sleepa - out in a few weeks.

Respect.

bun-u

Trumpet Police
that sounds good woebot…will be up for that.

I might even check it a fortnight early if our logan is there.

Tim F

Do dubstep hardcore heroes really have issues with Target playing??? Wow!

When I first heard "Fresh Air" I didn't know who it was by and thought it was a dubstep tune, but, like, the best dubstep tune I'd heard in <i>ages</i>.

Ha ha the secret of Target's aceness is maybe that he combines grime with all the bits of dubstep that dubstep stripped away approximately two months after it adopted that name.

(the first "Dubstep" mix on Dubplate.net was both awesome and the end of that moment if I recall - was that the one that started with Zed Bias's "Ring The Alarm"??)

Aim High 2 is still blowing my mind.

3underscore

Tim F said:
Do dubstep hardcore heroes really have issues with Target playing??? Wow!

When I first heard "Fresh Air" I didn't know who it was by and thought it was a dubstep tune, but, like, the best dubstep tune I'd heard in <i>ages</i>.

Ha ha the secret of Target's aceness is maybe that he combines grime with all the bits of dubstep that dubstep stripped away approximately two months after it adopted that name.

From the way the thread went and the discussion mms and kode9 had on here, the feeling is that it is clearly the breaks kids who have a problem with the movement towards any grime DJ or MC playing FWD.

Dubstep and Grime are riding high at the moment, and FWD have moved their sights to bring that in a bit more. A lot of the folk involved in selecting the DJs at forward are clearly dubstep heads, and they have been behind this (kode, N-type all appearing vocal in the booking policy defence).

I think the breaks guys are a little maligned at the moment as they are taking a step back from the limelight, and are getting sore about it.

Badmarsh

As a policy and for some strange reason no breaks artists go to Forward (I dont know why but apparently way back when Fwd first started there was some politics - I wasn't involved then, so I dont know.) Those same breaks people who couldnt get involved have gone onto to huge things - playing 10,000 capacity raves week in, week out...they don't care one bit...let me assure you that - and clear up the confusion. They also sell on average 1500-2000 units per release which is fairly healthy...considering a good dnb release is 5000. they're making a few bucks.

Just because Forward changed its music policy - there was a major uproar - caused I think by 1 or 2 people...who to this day, have not come forward and told anyone who they are - which is annoying.

Breaks and dubstep/grime are too completely different scenes - with different audiences - people need to understand that...and focus on their own entities (what they contribute to UK music themselves etc.)

Blackdown

nexKeysound
for those people who don't follow the tiny intricacies of this scene, there's a difference between the breaks scene and the part of the FWD>> scene who make breaky tunes (like Sid/Badmarsh's Hotflush camp)

Blackdown

nexKeysound
Tim F said:

really? like what? to me Target's success is the use of Timbaland drums, and very dense, cyclical melodies (written on 80s esque synths). these melodies both drive the track onwards and keep you hooked musically.

those dont seem the characteristics lsot from dubstep when it changed 2002/3.

Badmarsh

Blackdown said:
for those people who don't follow the tiny intricacies of this scene, there's a difference between the breaks scene and the part of the FWD>> scene who make breaky tunes (like Sid/Badmarsh's Hotflush camp)

Which are being lapped up by the breaks scene (that was not allowed in at forward when they started) I'd like to add. - which is cool.

We've started a new label - called Scuba - which is strictly grime/dubstep. Ma lickle plug earlier u get me. LOL.

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
Badmarsh said:
As a policy and for some strange reason no breaks artists go to Forward (I dont know why but apparently way back when Fwd first started there was some politics - I wasn't involved then, so I dont know.) Those same breaks people who couldnt get involved have gone onto to huge things - playing 10,000 capacity raves week in, week out...they don't care one bit...let me assure you that - and clear up the confusion. They also sell on average 1500-2000 units per release which is fairly healthy...considering a good dnb release is 5000. they're making a few bucks.

Just because Forward changed its music policy - there was a major uproar - caused I think by 1 or 2 people...who to this day, have not come forward and told anyone who they are - which is annoying.

Breaks and dubstep/grime are too completely different scenes - with different audiences - people need to understand that...and focus on their own entities (what they contribute to UK music themselves etc.)

i don't know if they have really changed their policy, i've heard all sorts of artists play music with breaks down there, from oris jay to slimzee to landslide, jay da flex etc.
i just think it's good that they are exploring all the faultlines and having vocalists, certainly on the pirates anyway is one of em, seen ms dynamite over a jay d flex set once down there even.
Oddly though i haven't been to about the last 5 or so which is crap, all this interscene checking out is excellent.

i reckon i'll be up for that to answer yr question matt, seen target down there before and recently dmz have been unmissable too.

Fiddy

I haven't read all of this but those who've been going to Forward from back when it was at Velvet Rooms (was that what it was called) will have seen the progression... it started off as an underground night pushing new music. Ms Dynamite was resident (before Boo had come out) and generally the crowd and what you'd hear was quite different to now. Obviously the music has progressed and the scene has seen off shoot scenes develop which no doubt had an effect last year there seemed to be a wave of anti-mc policies both on radio and at clubs which I think contributed to Forward going down a certain route. Tell me If I'm wrong but I basically think that to an extent Forward got stuck in a corner playing a certain type of music and now it's reverting back to what it was originally about - pushing new underground music forward.

Badmarsh

The best thing thats happened to forward of recent is that its brought new dj's in to play.

It's wicked seeing new faces behind the decks doing their thing...regardless of what style of music it is.

Last year forward became stagnated coz it relied to much on its core dj's month in month out - which started to become quite boring...

michael

Bring out the vacuum
gumdrops said:
ok, but if grime is a MC-focused scene, surely vocal tracks would fall right into that as theyre all about the MC?
I think you missed the bit about the MCs being there to add stuff live. If DJs play vocal tracks the MCs don't have much room to add their own lyrics.

Last edited: