new Venetian Snares album 'Meathole'

dozer

a variety of release dates are floating around on the net at the moment, but 22nd August is what Planet Mu are saying and I guess they know more than most

you can listen to track 3, Contain here featuring ear-bleeding white noise merchant SKM-ETR. It wouldn't have been that out of place on Rossz Csillag Allat Született with the spacious reeverb and string arrangement, although the drums seem slightly more processed and there are more electronic sounds dotted around. The 'You could live in my coffee can/I'll feed you flies everyday/I'll crush you with pencil erasers' lyric reminds me of some of Winter in the Belly of a Snake's darker moments, but its also quite catchy, however bizarre that might sound. The high pitched melody behind the words is almost vintage AFX

I'm a little gutted that he's stuck to the more traditional drum sounds again (after Rossz Csillag's amen breaks from start to finish) - his strongest work comes when he moves away from them (all of Huge Chrome Cylinder Box Unfolding and Nepetalactone on Songs About My Cats to name but a few) and uses more distinctly different, contrasting sounds. Its infinitely frustrating knowing he can produce work like that - when virtually no-one else can, but chooses not to. Drum sounds are too restrictive and familiar for my liking. They don't give him the scope to really fuck with your head - his professed aim...

From reading accounts of recent live gigs, it sounds like the rest of the album is pretty hard and dark - Winnipeg is a Frozen Shithole-style, keeping in line with what seems like an attempt to court the electronic/industrial fans who recently crawled out of their death metal coffins (incidently often the same people who prefer to throw themselves around to his music rather than listen to it...)

So, for Snares fans who don't want to kill their parents/obliterate the entire human race, it looks like we will have to wait another couple of months at least for a more cerebral release. Although, this is all based on one track and a few bits of second hand information, so I could (hopefully) be wrong...

dozer

D

droid

Ive got an hour and a half recording of him in Dublin from May.. mostly a mix of Rossz Csillag, Winnipeg, and new material (i think). Theres one new tune that has a chopped up ragga vocal and is quite nice, but the rest of its pretty much the same old Snares type masturbation....

nonseq

Yeah the beats on Rossz were a little underwhelming but its a good album. Infolepsy has the best beats imo. Beats like on Doll are too wrecked for my liking, too much distortion. I'm hoping for an album with the darkness of Doll and the beats of Infolepsy.

dozer

just given the samples a few listens - sounds like tired old jungle to me. ok - the beats are varied as you would expect, but the stereo arrangement is well below his usual standards. there's not the usual dynamic sense of movement that you get with his better stuff, and this combined with the lack of variation between sounds make it all sounds a little flat/dull

:( - distraught...

this has to rank alonside winnipeg and that godawful speedranch collaboration as his worst work - two out of the three this year!

is anyone else making anything on par with Huge Chrome Cylinder Box Unfolding that I'm missing out on, or should I rightly confine myself to the depths of despair?

dozer

satanmcnugget

heard his BreezeBlock mix online a few months back...it was surprisingly accessible...i thought it may be a harbinger of a slightly new direction, but apparently not