'the' juan maclean- less than human

S

simon silverdollar

anyone got this? the bits and bobs i've heard sound pretty enticing, and i'm thinking about buying it. any recommendations? or condemnations?

3underscore

the Juan Maclean are one of the better parts of the DFA empire to my mind. I haven't got the album as yet, but have pretty high expectations from it.

jk_gabba

gabba survivor
Its nice, sometimes gets a bit cliched electro, with some germanic voices/ robot fetishes etc, but its good, more electro and slightly smoother than LCD..

And its got: "My Time Is Running Out" on it, which is great

S

simon silverdollar

i've bought it now! picked it up from MVE for £6. it's lovely-not half as retro as i was expecting, actually.

kingofcars

juan maclean is definitely one of the more palatable dfa acts.
the new albums not bad. the remix double pack of 'tito's way' is actually quite good, too, particularly the reverse 68 mix and the lindstrom mix...really dreamy space disco, w/o too much of the lame dfa post-punk-posturing...

juliand

I love it--the humanity of its need to resist feeling. I am reminded of Eliot's phrase: "only those who have personality and emotions know what it means to want to escape from these things"

Buick6

too punk to drunk
The JMC track 'give me every little thing' on the DFA2 comp is one of the most mind and ass busting white-boy bliss-funk-out traxx I've heard since fuck, I dunno, the Beastie's 'Pauls Boutique' album...

But there other traxx on the comp are *shit*.

That bugs me about some of these hot 'neu' acts - the inconsistency.

juliand

2stepfan said:
Is it big fat banging supercharged distorted electro?

its melancholy model 500, played live rather than programmed, with lots of percolating synths and glassy pads.

dominic

Beast of Burden
finally got around to picking up a copy of this album

like the space-y psyche-delic feel

especially rate "crush the liberation"

jack

i love 'give me every little thing'. way more on the lindstrom space disco axis than much of dfa glam party indie.

Buick6

too punk to drunk
As a whole though the album is pretty shit. It's like all that shoegazer stuff, 2 or 3 really fantastic tracks that you'll play over and over again, and the rest of the album is just try-hard rubbish that goes nowhere.

kingofcars

yet again, i like the remixes of 'give me every little thing' a whole lot more than the original version...
juan maclean's tracks seem to be great source material for other musicians...

DavidD

can't be stopped
Love the original GMELT, love the remixes, this album is boring though.

That DFA Holiday mix is KILLER.