littlejohnnyjewel.blogspot.com

Woebot

http://littlejohnnyjewel.blogspot.com/

This place started up at the weekend. It was to have Jeff Chang/Jace Clayton/Andy Kellman as contributors (bit of a dream team!) but the contributors list has come down.

What has also come down is the site's statement of intent, a missive about "protecting dance music from the Rockist slant of the media"

So anyway I was going to have plenty of fun, and now it seems i shall have none! If you get me.

------

aw here goes anyway!

first up, i should state that my vison of rockism (ha! preposterous!) has as much room for Rock in it as Dancehall, Crunk etc (everyone knows this anyway, right?) but really (!) is dance music now so flaccid that it needs a lobbying commitee to "protect" it. also it strikes me that the most interesting things going on at the moment ARE ACTUALLY within the terrain of what you could call Rock (in the proper old fashioned sense) things like Delia and Gavin (more tomorrow) The Lickets, Ariel Pink, Animal Collective,The Books, The Focus Group (even!) are for the first time a huge amount more vivid than anything Microhouse/Urban even Grime/Crunk/Dancehall have to offer.

of course the irony is that the Rock music that the likes of NME, Q and Mojo write about is a million miles from this kind of "Rock"

(thought: Rock, Rock, Rockism, Neo-Rockism ---- we desperately need some new working definitions!)

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
WOEBOT said:
Delia and Gavin (more tomorrow) The Lickets, Ariel Pink, Animal Collective,The Books, The Focus Group (even!)
They sound awful, judging by the names. Is it going to be more poncey indie whining?
WOEBOT said:
(thought: Rock, Rock, Rockism, Neo-Rockism ---- we desperately need some new working definitions!)
White music.

Or White guitar music.

mms

sometimes
WOEBOT said:
http://littlejohnnyjewel.blogspot.com/

This place started up at the weekend. It was to have Jeff Chang/Jace Clayton/Andy Kellman as contributors (bit of a dream team!) but the contributors list has come down.

What has also come down is the site's statement of intent, a missive about "protecting dance music from the Rockist slant of the media"

So anyway I was going to have plenty of fun, and now it seems i shall have none! If you get me.

------

aw here goes anyway!

first up, i should state that my vison of rockism (ha! preposterous!) has as much room for Rock in it as Dancehall, Crunk etc (everyone knows this anyway, right?) but really (!) is dance music now so flaccid that it needs a lobbying commitee to "protect" it. also it strikes me that the most interesting things going on at the moment ARE ACTUALLY within the terrain of what you could call Rock (in the proper old fashioned sense) things like Delia and Gavin (more tomorrow) The Lickets, Ariel Pink, Animal Collective,The Books, The Focus Group (even!) are for the first time a huge amount more vivid than anything Micrhouse/Urban even Grime/Crunk/Dancehall have to offer.

of course the irony is that the Rock music that the likes of NME, Q and Mojo write about is a million miles from this kind of "Rock"

you are partly right, there is loads of stuff going on in those kind of areas but it doesn't come from a rockist standpoint , all this stuff comes from an almost improv world , and an interest in technology,diy aesthetic,sound and that, delia and gavin are taking up krauty tangeriene dreamy stuff and a kind of arthur russell buzz .
areil pink hmm i can see why but i'm not really feeling them.
they are vivid but is vividness always the big point ?
i'm enjoying dance music more than ever but i'm enjoying loads of other things too, which i would have found harder a few years ago because there wasnt this kind of stuff around.

juliand

How queer that they would then call it "Little Johnny Jewel"? Or does it refer to something besides the Television song? Doesn't that title reference James Jewel Osterberg AKA Iggy Pop? Pretty rockist, actually--as is, incidentally, the naming and claiming of other modernist daddies: Picasso, Duchamp, Godard and Perry. Via William Gibson, of all people!