Annie

Woebot

Just heard this, about 3 years late, ha!

What amazed me was that it sounded EXACTLY, completely, precisely, like I thought it would.

Quite nice really, but if the robotism extends to predicatbility maybe thats problematic.

I'll bet Catherine would like this!

http://www.anniemusic.co.uk/

hint

party record with a siren
yup - Annie's nice.

Do you know Phoenix? They do a similar thing. In fact, I think I prefer them to Annie.

gumdrops

i like annie but theres something too knowing about her album. there isnt that sense of innocence that you get in most great pop music.

francesco

Minerva Estassi
gumdrops said:
i like annie but theres something too knowing about her album. there isnt that sense of innocence that you get in most great pop music.

yes, a bit like early saint etienne or early stereolab, but i don't think that innocence is here today in pop music no more, if ever had been, so we could only "sample" it.

anyway "heartbeat" goes close to perfection

i loved this album and listened to it many times last year, now is a bit that i don't listen to it anymore, time to put it on the stereo again?

(... and she is very cute :eek: )

mpc

wasteman
phoenix are big shotters on road.

'everything is everything' is like the new easy listening 'forward'.

Tim F

Matt, do you mean &Catherine? If so, she does like it! Or at least, she likes "Heartbeat"...

Melchior

Taking History Too Far
Neither this or Run the Road have been given local release here. So I've finally got around to ordering them both last week (thanks Michael!)

Tim F

Melchior whereabouts in Australia are you? In Melbourne you can now get Run The Road at JB Hi-Fi!

Melchior

Taking History Too Far
Tim F said:
Melchior whereabouts in Australia are you? In Melbourne you can now get Run The Road at JB Hi-Fi!

Since when? Michael called all over last week, and we finally decided to order from overseas!

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Yeah, JB Hifi in the city in Melbourne said one other branch/shop had ordered in Annie, but they had no record of Run The Road. No other shop I went into even knew what I was talking about.

Phoenix's 'Everything is Everything' and Annie's 'Heartbeat' are favourite driving songs of mine.

3underscore

I kind of like Annie's tunes, but not so much I would buy the album. I am not really a cheery pop person. As for Phoenix, I really don't get the appreciation. they're so bland!

I should say, I suppose, that my main link of listening to Annie and things was from op:l bastards / and the left handed, so this shouldn't be all that surprising.

owen

agreed, bollocks to 'innocence', surely the most dubious of cultural and political concepts

anyway. i first heard 'the greatest hit' at a queue at some record shop or other, had one of those 'oh my god this is the greatest record ever' moments and misheard who it was by. next day i bought an alizee album, which was entertaining enough but clearly not in the same league...took about a year before i ever heard it at a club, by which time i had a pen and paper handy...

i still think it's one of the greatest records ever....sheer, sheer joy in scando-disco form....

Woebot

owen said:

henrymiller said:
know your place, pop music!

Aw come on, you KNOW what he means henrymiller!

Actually was thinking the other day how EXACTLY MIA is like Annie. Upon that personal revelation everything made such acute sense.......

owen

ummm, matt, he was quoting gumdrops rather than me! i was agreeing with henry miller, which lord knows i don't do often :)

difference between annie and MIA- knowing like ABBA are knowing vs knowing like damon albarn is knowing? anyway i'm firmly on the fence with the latter and (at least with 5 or so songs) totally in love with the former