Woebot

I'm no Yoda-toting skate-kid but when I went to see Star Wars aged 6 with my best friend Ben Ovington (maybe he'll google himself!) it made a pretty enormous (ginormous ;)) impression.

George Lucas, however, I've recently decided must be some kind of total bufoon.

What is the iconic, epic movie called these days? "Star Wars" perhaps?

No it's called:

"Star Wars Episode 4: A New Hope."

Bizarre.

francesco

Minerva Estassi
Lucas, really a great director with a perfect curriculum from THX1138, American Graffiti and Star Wars.
Then created Industrial Light And Magic which created modern cinema but forget all about what a film is (and he never shot another one for 20 years). But strangely in the last one, The Revenge of the Sith, on the second part, there are hint of grand cinema. Only brief moments but great. While all the others Star Wars movies (ok, Empire Strikes Back has his moments...) only shite.

The old Star Wars had not only the name retouched but also has been digitally retouched in many parts to correct "errors" and look more modern. Not that I have ever been a Star Wars fans.... it was a nice film, now is mostruously overrated by geeky fans, like Star Trek.

Me, i love 2001 and Space 1999.

rewch

quite agree about the inherent rubbishnesss of most of the star wars franchise... but the first film (i.e. no. 4) was always subtitled episode 4: a new hope... didn't make sense for a long time until lucas came out with the rest... there are strange inconsistencies between the first & the rest... i.e. alec guinness calls darth vader 'darth' as if it his first name which then metamorphosises into a dark-side title... darth sidious... darth tyrannus &c. don't know whether he meant the first one to be a stand alone which he then realised could be a sestology [sic]... the most recent one continued this with a lot of loose ends being tied up in a very unsubtle way like darth vader losing his lightsaber so obi wan could pick it up & then give it to luke... why did it take the empire 20 years to build the first death star & then a considerably shorter time to build the second &c. &c.

sorry got a bit carried away there... but star wars was a seminal influence on pretty much anyone over the age of 25... lucas shouldn't have allowed himself to direct any of the others (though i don't think he did return of the jedi which is pap)

10:02am

rewch said:
but the first film (i.e. no. 4) was always subtitled episode 4: a new hope... didn't make sense for a long time until lucas came out with the rest...

Not true actually. The 'Episode IV' subtitle was added, when the film was re-released. Sometime in the early 80s I believe?

sus

The greatest mythological cycle of our era. Multi-generation-defining. A Homeric space opera. Future centuries will consider it a canonical saga.

craner

Beast of Burden
Let's take Episode II: Attack of the Clones scene by scene, to understand its genius (1/n):

I watched William Dieterle's Salome the other day and the production design was remarkably similar. I think Lucas was aiming for that kind of 1950s Technicolor Hollywood historical epic and from that perspective it probably worked as well as its model, i.e. it's virtually unwatchable.

Also Salome had Charles Laughton as a lascivious, slobbering Herod and Rita Hayworth doing this:

Whereas Attack of the Clones had...Hayden Christensen and Natalie Portman.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
According to Star Wars creator George Lucas, he experimented with various combinations of names for the character built upon the phrase "Dark Water". He then "added lots of last names, Vaders and Wilsons and Smiths, and ... just came up with the combination of Darth and Vader". After the release of The Empire Strikes Back (1980), Lucas stated that the name Vader was based upon the German/Dutch-language word vater or vader ('father'), suggesting "Dark Father" and the character's relationship with original-trilogy protagonist Luke Skywalker.[6] Other words which may have inspired the name are "death" and "invader",[7] as well as the name of a high-school upperclassman of Lucas's, Gary Vader.[8][9]

• Love
Reactions: sus

craner

Beast of Burden
I think what Corpsey is trying to say is that Attack of the Clones is Lucas's Be Here Now.

version

While LucasArts was still at the helm of the franchise's games, Star Wars creator George Lucas still had a lot of sway... When The Force Unleashed's development team appealed for Starkiller to be legitimized with a Darth title, Lucas offered two ridiculous names - Darth Icky and Darth Insanius.

sus

Craner if I convince you that Attack of the Clones is a masterpiece, will you commit to mentoring me over zoom one hour a week?

craner

Beast of Burden
Craner if I convince you that Attack of the Clones is a masterpiece, will you commit to mentoring me over zoom one hour a week?

Maybe, it depends how convincing you are. You have to bear in mind that I have actually seen Attack of the Clones. Twice.

• Haha

mixed_biscuits

But i think hardcore fans hated it the most
Hardcore fans are way too old to have any relevant opinion; the films are explicity meant for children. Having a grown up opinion about Star Wars films is like having an opinion about whether Pedigree Chum is tastier than Whiskas.

That said, I'm looking forward to Sus' analysis.

• Love