Delia and Gavin.

Woebot

Went to see these cats, and said a brief hello to them, at the Kosmische 9th Birthday party. V.salubrious affair.

As far as I'm concerned these two are my great "white" hope (no ref to skin pigmentation obviously)

I've uploaded a little movie I shot here (you'll have to tilt your head) which is footage of them playing a version of
their single El Monte. I don't have the single, but from what Sacha told me the live rendition was miles better. Of course I do have the Black Lyotard Front single which is just divine, if you havent heard it yet (well you must be in some bunker in Poland) find a copy immediately, its BY FAR the best Post Punk disco romp, maybe ever!

I've also attached a nice piece by Xavier Chamone which FACT ran, which alludes to the Days of Mars release. On the strength of the gig, this stands every chance of being the best thing DFA has put out. Xavier alludes to Italo Disco, I don't really get this, but disco yes. The most pungent aural similarity I took off the performance was to Terry Riley's oevre, quite specifically to "Persian Surgery Dervishes", in fact I imagine this is how those mantric mini-moog extravanganzas of his actually sounded. ie ROCKING!

Isnt it interesting how with this and the forthcoming Jackson LP (proper insanely-spliced together INAGRM-infused Disco) have really put the Avant-Garde into disco with purpose. (scratches head) There isnt much of a history to this beyond Arthur Russell and the odd one-off record is there. Is there?

mpc

wasteman
gavin's a funny name, isn't it?

that downloady thing didnt work, but maybe my pc couldnt unpack it.

someone sort me out with winzip please

kingofcars

as far as black leotard front & italo, the record reminds me a lot of celso valli's productions (tantra, azoto, etc etc etc)...definitely one of the pioneers of dubby, trippy disco.

i'm glad they look like they're from 1972. ...

francesco

Minerva Estassi
kingofcars said:
as far as black leotard front & italo, the record reminds me a lot of celso valli's productions (tantra, azoto, etc etc etc)...

it's really time that the double Tantra album get a reissue!

juliand

> (you'll have to tilt your head)

i had to play it twice through, because the first time i forgot to tilt.
pretty trippy camerawork there woebot!

jed_

i take it the may release for the Gavin and delia record (mentioned in that article above) didnt come about? or did it just sink? "casual friday" is my favourite track of the year (or was it last year?)

Rachel Verinder

unfortunately having seen that photo i am now hugely prejudiced against delia and gavin for not having a short back and sides or wearing suits and ties. take a bath you winos if you're expecting my money! ;)

is it possible to pretend that this is delia smith and gavin rossdale out of bush?

Woebot

dubplatestyle said:
haha not what i expected them to look like AT ALL

true.

here's a snap i took.

for the record i think they look fantastic. isnt it great that they made the absolutely most dancefloor rocking tune of the past year and they dont sport nike?

mms

sometimes
gavin is a funny name you are right mpc- it's really not a pop star kinda name -
i used to look a bit like gavin at one point - and i used to own the keyboard he has in that photo

are the dfa label an emi off shoot, do they still get distributed by however distributes emi?
weird to think of emi doing vinyl in this day and age innit .....

it's also amazing to think that they and fennez etc get on telly, would never happen in hte uk unless they were being humiliated by some unfunny little c+nt in some way for being arty.

Rachel Verinder

or else they would have to shoehorn themselves into a creaky old format. imagine poor old christian fennesz having to accommodate his musical vision to fit in with jools holland's boogie woogie piano magic.

mms

sometimes
Rachel Verinder said:
or else they would have to shoehorn themselves into a creaky old format. imagine poor old christian fennesz having to accommodate his musical vision to fit in with jools holland's boogie woogie piano magic.

i am and it's very very funny. :D

3underscore

Rachel Verinder said:

It's the new Alva Noto & Sakamoto!

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
mms said:
it's also amazing to think that they and fennez etc get on telly, would never happen in hte uk unless they were being humiliated by some unfunny little c+nt in some way for being arty.

They got on the TV? When was that?

Coincidence there. I just acquired the Rise single a couple weeks ago and got outbid on the Black Leotard one. They look a bit weird in the first pic but just perfect in the second, techno hippies.

dj808 at www.808.be has a really rocking house mix which includes the Black Leotard track on it. There's a few things there that have the same vibe.

jed_

DigitalDjigit said:
They got on the TV? When was that?

Coincidence there. I just acquired the Rise single a couple weeks ago and got outbid on the Black Leotard one.

outbid? it's pretty freely available in online and (depending on where you are i suppose) real life record stores. there's no need to bit for it, it's not a limited edition. both boomkat and juno have it at the moment.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
This is fairly random, but does anyone read Dinosaur Comics?

I was really really bored at work, coinciding with being obsessed with 'Casual Friday', and ended up making a fan art comic of the lyrics from the track. Imagining Utahraptor doing the Cosey-like vocal parts had me chuckling away for far too long.

T-Rex: "You love me - you must - CONFESS!"

:D

I thought it was far too obscure to submit it to their fan art section.

My only disappointment with this track is that I didn't hear it for the first time in some filthy club far too late at night... In fact, being a pretty un-druggy type, it's one of the few dance tracks (barring some real fizzy zeeow zeeow mentasm-y tracks) that's made me want to get fucked up.