Vex'd - Degenerate

greeneyes

Bit Mangler
I've been looking forward to this for a while. Every release of theirs has been heavy as hell.

Anybody got the album? Impressions? (I'm yet to find a copy)

dozer

mp3 samples for download here

just listened to them. do you not find this stuff a bit boring? same bass/snare noise throughout, boring beat etc. i can't help feeling this sort of music is made for people who still can't get over how low the bass goes on their stereo

'h e a v y, man...'

edit: I've had Pop Pop VIP on all morning and love it. Fickle hypocrite alert... :eek:

dozer

Last edited:

labrat

hot on the heels of love
i got a copy of ghost/lion on the strength of gutterbreakz's ravings/boomkats review but realised id already heard it on a j da flex cd (free with deuce).i like it but i can't understand why it gets bare props when Burial's South London Burroughs (similar sonic ingredients) nary a mention.

By the way, whatever happened to Deuce magazine(some great cd's )?
i would have thought the market was just right for a UKG/grime mag at that point???
was the agent x cd cover the last one??

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
labrat said:
i got a copy of ghost/lion on the strength of gutterbreakz's ravings/boomkats review but realised id already heard it on a j da flex cd (free with deuce).i like it but i can't understand why it gets bare props when Burial's South London Burroughs (similar sonic ingredients) nary a mention./QUOTE]

agreed there - the stuff coming out of the dmz, ital, hyperdub camp is infinitley more exciting and innovative than the vexd kind of angry breakbeat garagey stuff imo. although i like some of it you know whats gonna happen and the vibe i get is stoned white 18- 25 year olds making tunes to white out too, not really my thing
it's all just one mood.
equally markone moving into productions for mcs was a good move - different vibe from the rest of the gang and it works as an lp

Last edited:

boomnoise

♫
the album is totally phenomenal. i'm not bored by it all. i wow every time it rattles my head. the bass and noise splinters reminds me of zan lyons' work. 'thunder' is unreal.

the first defining album of the scene. the cd format will inevitably push the sound forward in terms of access, the label will undoubtedly expose the sound to a different group of dance music fans. ultimately a landmark release. punishing peers and destroying boundaries, pushing them forward.

i think the DMZ, Hyperdub activity is more innovative but the vex'd still offers something. perhaps operating slightly outside of what dubstep has now evolved to be.

i like it and i know all about how low the bass goes on my stereo. I give South London Burroughs props too and looking forward to another Burial release.

Last edited:

3underscore

labrat said:
i can't understand why it gets bare props when Burial's South London Burroughs (similar sonic ingredients) nary a mention.

I would consider part of this to be down to Vex'd releases on substatic being the first releases (by about 6 months) to get any form of distribution. I still think the first two twelves were the best they have done, but am interested to hear the album.

As for Burial, the twelve has only been available for about 4 months, less so on the likes of boomkat, who I would expect were involved in tipping the heads that this would sell. Give it some time. Kode 9 + Daddi Gee's work gets huge props from everyone I know who has heard it.

labrat

hot on the heels of love
South London Burroughs is available thru Boomkat i bought it in Pelikanneck( their "physical" shop). I recon the reason it didn't get as much support from Boomkat customers as Vex'd is that the website blurb didn't mention Aphex Twin-simple as that!
however South London Burroughs would appeal to Tron bods as it has a similar dub sesibility as the Basic Channel records (i'd be VERY suprised if they hadn't heard em).
is this EP the only thing Burial have done?

3underscore

Yes, it is the first thing Burial have done. And it has only been out a few months (it took boomkat a couple of weeks after it was in London shops to get it in stock). I feel for those who have been aware of it, it is great, just it hasn't sold all 500 (?) pressings yet.

As for vex'd - it was the first thing listed on boomkat as grime / their kind of grime sound. That helped it shift quite quickly I would think.

mms

sometimes
3underscore said:
I would consider part of this to be down to Vex'd releases on substatic being the first releases (by about 6 months) to get any form of distribution. I still think the first two twelves were the best they have done, but am interested to hear the album.

As for Burial, the twelve has only been available for about 4 months, less so on the likes of boomkat, who I would expect were involved in tipping the heads that this would sell. Give it some time. Kode 9 + Daddi Gee's work gets huge props from everyone I know who has heard it.

hmm the whole ammunition lot have been with srd for sometime now, baked goods have been doing hotflush for a while too and hyperdub and dmz have been with cargo for a good time so not sure if this is entirely true about proper distro uoo know.

DJL

i'm joking
labrat said:
i got a copy of ghost/lion on the strength of gutterbreakz's ravings/boomkats review but realised id already heard it on a j da flex cd (free with deuce).i like it but i can't understand why it gets bare props when Burial's South London Burroughs (similar sonic ingredients) nary a mention.

By the way, whatever happened to Deuce magazine(some great cd's )?
i would have thought the market was just right for a UKG/grime mag at that point???
was the agent x cd cover the last one??

I've got both those CDs - still listening to them now.
Duece died but I don't know why.

Check RWD mag. They should put CDs on the cover and start charging for it in proper newsagents.

labrat said:
i got a copy of ghost/lion on the strength of gutterbreakz's ravings

wahey!! always good to know when I actually influence people to part with their cash!! Can I quote you on my C/V? :p

Of course the Vex'd album is a mindfuck (I'll be reviewing it just as soon as I can summon the necessary language required) but I rate that Burial EP too!

nonseq

3underscore said:
Give it some time. Kode 9 + Daddi Gee's work gets huge props from everyone I know who has heard it.
Yeah, they're big. Working on an album aren't they?
Looking forward to that one a lot.

labrat

hot on the heels of love
Nick Gutterbreakz said:
wahey!! always good to know when I actually influence people to part with their cash!! Can I quote you on my C/V? :p

you could if you liked-your enthusiasm is infectious as i'm sure many would agree!

nuff o backslapping this lets have some arguing bout Rockism

Last edited:

gumdrops

i think deuce died because knowledge mag (or is it vision publishing) werent that behind it. i dont know the full story or anything though. maybe blackdown or fiddy here can fill you in.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
deuce ultimately didnt sell. pretty simple really.

i keep meaning to upload the Jammer NASTY CD. totally ahead of its time (i didnt get it for years) and the birthplace/peak of Sinogrime.

Clubberlang

The free Deuce mix CD I want is the Sublow Selections one from 2002-3. Unfortunately all back issues appear to be gone and I've never seen it anywhere (even for download.)

Blackdown

nexKeysound
labrat said:
...however South London Burroughs would appeal to Tron bods as it has a similar dub sesibility as the Basic Channel records (i'd be VERY suprised if they hadn't heard em).
is this EP the only thing Burial have done?

i understand Basic Channel have heard it (wooohooo!).
and yes it's the only Burial release to date.
Kode's threatening to debut new Burial material on Rinse tonight.

gumdrops

Blackdown said:
deuce ultimately didnt sell. pretty simple really.

i keep meaning to upload the Jammer NASTY CD. totally ahead of its time (i didnt get it for years) and the birthplace/peak of Sinogrime.

if you could upload that CD, that would be very :D