One good reason to never listen to bad music

Canada J Soup

Monkey Man
From yesterday's NY Times:

Neuron Network Goes Awry, and Brain Becomes an IPod

Seven years ago Reginald King was lying in a hospital bed recovering from bypass surgery when he first heard the music.

It began with a pop tune, and others followed. Mr. King heard everything from cabaret songs to Christmas carols. "I asked the nurses if they could hear the music, and they said no," said Mr. King, a retired sales manager in Cardiff, Wales.

"I got so frustrated," he said. "They didn't know what I was talking about and said it must be something wrong with my head. And it's been like that ever since."

Each day, the music returns. "They're all songs I've heard during my lifetime," said Mr. King, 83. "One would come on, and then it would run into another one, and that's how it goes on in my head."
Reading this article gave me serious chills, as it reminded me of a really bad mushroom experience I had when I was 18 or so. I was on my own, and managed to randomly get the trumpet riff from the Beatles' 'For No One' stuck in my head on a continuous loop. This wasn't just a case of a song being stuck in my head, I could actually hear it. I ended up calling the Samaritans because I thought I was going insane (the nice lady there told me to make a cup of tea and then scolded me for messing around with substances...by the time she'd finished giving out I was okay again). Don't think I've listened to Revolver since.

So, what would you regret ever having listened to if you were to end up like Mr. King? And what would be the absolute worst genres to get stuck in your head on repeat? Bad pop songs? 80s hair metal? Overblown opera? Hymns? And what, if anything, could you maybe live with?

Last edited:
The nightmare scenario for me would be an endless procession of soft-rock/pop balladry....

Bryan Adams - Everything I Do
Chris De Burgh - Lady In Red
Wet Wet Wet - Love Is All Around
Starship - Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now
ad nauseum

...plus anything by Black Lace.

But I prefer to linger on the things that I'd be quite happy with an endless supply of in my head, like 70's pop...

Middle Of The Road - Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep
Chicory Tip - Son Of My Father
The New seekers - You won't Find Another Fool Like Me
Edison Lighthouse - Love Grows (where my Rosemary goes)
Sweet Sensation - Sad Sweet Dreamer
Alessi - Oh Lori

....plus any vintage disco pop with female singers...

Deniece Wiliams - Let's Hear It For The Boy
Alicia Bridges - I Love The Nightlife (Disco Round)
Yvonne Elliman - If I Can't Have you (written by the fucking Bee gees, aaag!! :mad: )
Tina Charles - I Love To Love
Nu Shooz - I Can't Wait...

...I Want Muscles by Diana Ross - they don't make 'em like that anymore...

...some tunes by the fellas too, like Dan Hartman - Instant Replay...

...Rock Your Baby by George McCrae...

Rock The Boat by Hues Corporation....

Good Thing going by Suger Minot
Silly Games by Janet Kay
Everything I Own by Ken Booth...

I could go on for hours...sigh...

Rachel Verinder

that's actually a french horn line on "for no one" but anyway, the absolute worst for me would an eternal loop of "five get over excited" by the housemartins for reasons complex yet dull.

martin

----
If it was every song I'd ever heard, well there'd be too much shit to make a list, but the following would be quite gruesome - Daphne & Celeste, Phil Collins, Monica & Brandy, Falco, Midnight Oil, Hayzee Fantayzee, Lighthouse Family, The Korgis, whoever did that awful fucking"I find you attractive...would you go to bed with me?" minor chart hit in 1999, Boo Radleys, Wiley, Death in Vegas, Sting, Keane, Frank Zappa...that stuff would really make me throw myself off a motorway bridge.

bassnation

the abyss
martin said:
If it was every song I'd ever heard, well there'd be too much shit to make a list, but the following would be quite gruesome - Daphne & Celeste, Phil Collins, Monica & Brandy, Falco, Midnight Oil, Hayzee Fantayzee, Lighthouse Family, The Korgis, whoever did that awful fucking"I find you attractive...would you go to bed with me?" minor chart hit in 1999, Boo Radleys, Wiley, Death in Vegas, Sting, Keane, Frank Zappa...that stuff would really make me throw myself off a motorway bridge.

for me it would be all the shite funky house i've ever heard along with any tech house that has a one note bassline and whooshing noises, ferry corsten, judge jules "its my turn", theivery corporation & any other tasteful jazzy trip hop i've had the misfortune to hear, jamiriquai, and especially:- any coldplay / snow patrol / keane / any of the nu skool whiny "indie".

S

simon silverdollar

robbie willliams- rock dj.
i really do think that i'd kill myself within a few hours.

Reginald King may well just be picking up the signals from some god-awful radio station through his metal fillings.

People are occasionally misdiagnosed as schizophrenics when they hear 'voices' in their head - turns out their dental work is receiving radio waves.... :confused:

labrat

hot on the heels of love
infinite thought said:
People are occasionally misdiagnosed as schizophrenics when they hear 'voices' in their head - turns out their dental work is receiving radio waves.... :confused:

What??????????????
mind you it would explain my ex-neighbours somewhat erratic behaviour-his teeth must have been picking up some "pirate flava" type broadcast.

......Black Is Black by La Belle Epoche, Mississipi by Pussycat, Afternoon Delight by Starland Vocal Band, January by Pilot, Get Up And Boogie by Silver Convention, Midnight At The Oasis by Maria Muldaur, Car 67 by Driver 67, Sky High by Jigsaw, Suger Me by Lynsey De Paul, Falling Apart At The Seems by Marmalade, Suger Baby Love by The Rubettes , Float On by The Floaters, Ring My Bell by Anita Ward......